Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with interactive PDF on Apple devices

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a problem with PDF file, which was created in InDesign CC2015. This PDF is Fitness plan with multipe Youtube icons. This icons are hyperlinks

for various videos on Youtube. One year ago i created simmilar plan with same workflow and everyting wors fine, but now I have issue on Apple devices.

Hyperlinks and buttons dont works on Apple devices. I traied on MACbook, IPhone 5s, IPhone 8+ with same results. If I assign hyperlinks

to pictures (Youtube icons), icons is visible when I open file in Safari but when I click on it, nothing happens. Same situation is on Acrobat Reader. I tried convert this icons to buttons but with simmilar resulsts. In Safari icons not visible and in Acrobat Reader is visible but no works.

On Windows everything works fine, I tried this on 3 diffrent computers and on Android tablet and cell phone and no poblems.

I try some professional apps for IOS and in this aplications hyperlinks and buttons works fine, but ordinary useres don't want use profi apps for opening fitness plan.

I try export file with InDesign CC 2018 but with same results.

Any ideas how I can solve this issue?

I find some simillar theards in this forum but without solution. For exemple this: https://forums.adobe.com/message/4482056#4482056#4482056

Thans a lots

Best regards

Lukáš K.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Alas, that's actually a known issue. iOS PDF viewer apps--even Adobe's own--don't support the full range of interactivity of which PDFs are capable. On Macs they will work, but only with Acrobat or Adobe Reader, not with the Preview app built into macOS.

To make it work on Macs, you'll need to use the free Adobe Reader, which you can get here for all supported platforms: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

For iPads and iPhones, I typically recommend you consider publishing as Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, that's actually a known issue. iOS PDF viewer apps--even Adobe's own--don't support the full range of interactivity of which PDFs are capable. On Macs they will work, but only with Acrobat or Adobe Reader, not with the Preview app built into macOS.

To make it work on Macs, you'll need to use the free Adobe Reader, which you can get here for all supported platforms: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

For iPads and iPhones, I typically recommend you consider publishing as Fixed Layout eBooks. More info: http://abbrv.it/FXLvid

For all platforms you can also use the Publish Online feature, which supports interactivities in an online view. The downside is that, to use your content, the reader must have a live Internet connection. More info:  http://abbrv.it/vidPubOnline

Pariah Burke | Trainer, Author, Instructional Designer | InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Firefly, Audition, Canva, Generative AI | Accessibility / Section 508, Publishing, Generative AI, EPUB, IFX, more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Derek's suggestion, there is also Publish Online, which is part of InDesign. Possible drawbacks are your files are on Adobe's servers. You can create fantastic interactive documents, though, which are viewable in any browser. Here are some great examples: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had the same issue! But I've found a solution, since devices with a touch feature don't have a click be sure to make the buttons function on Indesign set to (on release or tap) rather than (on click) . It did the trick for me and doesn't affect the function on pc or Mac 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some devices, for example, tablets and smartphones, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  Multi-state objects (MSO) don’t work at all in Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Omar218197468aex, worked for me. Had been looking for a way round this for sometim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines