• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with Paragraph Composer/"No Break" setting in InCopy

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A client of mine says that when I make a text change to a paragraph of an InDesign document using InCopy, the custom “no break” and other line-wrapping settings she put in vanish, and the text re-rags in a way she didn't intend. It only started happening with this one document, this month. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

TOPICS
InCopy workflow , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @chrisuren:

How is she adding the no break property and what other line-wrapping settings is she adding? Are you aware of them while you are editing the InCopy file? Before and after screen shots may be helpful here. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply; I'll try to find out. I didn't see any marked breaks from within InCopy when I showed all the characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, she says she selected certain words and applied "No break" from the Character menu. But when I went into that assignment and switched out a few words in one paragraph, the "no breaks" in that entire assignment no longer worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would ask her to create a no-break character style and assign on a test file to see if that makes a difference.  

I'm curious in what context she is using the no break attribute. We find people using them, for example, to keep a word from hyphenating when all they need to do is disable hyphenation for the para style. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll pass it on. ETA: she may have wanted breaks for some words in the paragraph but not others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else to consider with that no break character style. Change the color of the text, too. That way the text will stand out and when all of the editing is done, the color can be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines