• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with some fonts in TheSerifBlack family not available although installed in Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign CS5.5 running on two computers with Windows 10 installed (one an upgrade from Windows 7, the other an original Windows 10 installation)

A new project requires the following fonts in TheSerifBlack (OpenType):

TheSerifBlack-Caps

TheSerifBlack-CapsItalic

TheSerifBlack-Italic

TheSerifBlack-Plain

While the fonts install using the usual procedure for font installation in Windows 10 (right click on the font and select "install" from the dropbox menu), only two of the four fonts are available in InDesign. Here are some additional facts that may help narrow down the source of the problem:

1. If I go to the Fonts (either through the Fonts Control Panel or in the actual fonts directory [C:\Windows\Fonts]) only two are displayed, in the following order in the Font List: TheSerifBlack-Caps, then TheSerifBlack-CapsItalic

2. If I delete the first (leftmost in the horizontal listing), *then* TheSerifBlack-Plain font appears and is available in InDesign (but the "-Caps" font is now gone in the Windows Fonts listing and is unavailable in InDesign). Similarly, if I delete the second (rightmost in the horizontal listing), *then* TheSerifBlack-Italic font appears and is available in InDesign (but the "-CapsItalic" font is gone form the Windows Fonts listing and is now unavailable in InDesign).

3. Oddly, if I use a TrueType version of the font, *the same thing happens*.

4. I tried putting these fonts directly into the folder that Adobe programs access and use for fonts (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts) but this does not make the two missing fonts available (although the ones that are available after installing all four as Windows Fonts *also* are available when located in this folder [and not installed in the Windows Fonts folder])

This problem is occurring on two different computers, one of which was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, the other of which came with Windows 10. All available updates for Windows and CS 5.5 are installed.

Also, the direct cut-and-paste method for installing the font in the Windows Font folder (something some Windows users suggest as a solution to missing-fonts in a typeface family problems like mine) does not solve the problem.

I am at a loss how to proceed. I believe there are some methods for solving this problem by removing *.lst files from a location in the Adobe system folders, but I forget how that is done and don't want to cause problems with any *other* projects I am working on in InDesign.

I hope someone out there has a solution and await word back.

Desperate in Boulder,

Potterjazz

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Thank you, Uwe. As it happens, this is a procedure that I *did* eventually try, having seen that "Install for All Users" seemed to avoid other, similar problems I read about online. Unfortunately, it did not solve mine. However, I was able to get all three fonts I needed installed through trickery: I installed two of the fonts I needed from the OpenType version of the Family, and installed the third from the TrueType version. All three are visible/usable...yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac user, but are you sure InDesign CS5.5 is supported running under Windows 10, it's something like nine years old?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it runs fine on Windows 7 and 10 and continues to receive updates from Adobe, so I have no reason to think this is the source of the problem. If all else fails, I will get the latest version of InDesign and see if that makes a difference (but unlikely, since as Winterm notes, it is more-plausibly an OS problem, not an Adobe-related problem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Always install font for all users. Installing just for current user sometimes may be somewhat problematic.
2. Try manual copy of font files to Windows/Fonts directory.
3. Some people also report problems with 'install font' command when Windows firewall is OFF.
FWIW, it's rather an OS problem, not InDesign itself.

Derek is right, it's not officially supported config, however, in most cases it can run without significant issues (so far).

EDIT:

My fault, didn't read your post carefully.
Do you have exactly this package of fonts working properly, on any machine? There may be inaccurate (duplicated) info in font files themselves. I would check them in some font editing app like FontLab Studio or similar, or replace with tested and known as 'working' package.

EDIT2:

Feel free to remove (simply delete) all AdobeFnt[some number].lst files. It's safe, and yes, may help in some cases. InDesign will recreate everything needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do think the problem is OS-related, not InDesign-related, but thought some InDesign users might have encountered this problem and have thoughts. I have also alerted one of the Microsoft community boards about the problem. I am also running some other tests, one involving removing all fonts on one Windows machine in order to eliminate the possibility that an existing font on my system has a conflict with this family of fonts when they are loaded together (this has happened to me before, although usually with fonts that have the same screen name but are different [one postscript, one truetype, for example]). 

To answer your second question, yes, it was working on computers at another design/typesetting house that did previous work on this series. I need to check to see if the OS there was Windows or Mac. But Open Type fonts usually work on either without difficulty.

Thanks for the tip about deleting *.lst files. I will do that in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5 is most certainly NOT supported under Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently that doesn't mean it doesn't work, at least it doesn't mean that Photoshop, Dreamweaver, or InDesign fail to run. It also installs without errors in a fresh Windows 10 installation. . My problem is clearly *not* with Adobe, but with the Windows font management system. I've figured out a workaround while I wait for the font manufacturer to check the OpenType fonts to be sure they are not defective. Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi potterjazz:

"Yes, it runs fine on Windows 7 and 10 and continues to receive updates from Adobe..."

Nor is CS5.5 receiving any updates from Adobe. It reached end-of-life many years ago.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take your word for it, but Acrobat continues to get updates, for whatever reason, perhaps because I also run CS6, and Acrobat updates to whatever the latest version of Adobe CS you have. As I noted in responding to BobLevine, the programs I use (InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, very occasionally Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro run without a hitch). Thanks for the information, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Potterjazz,

you could test the following with InDesign CS 5.5:

1. Add the fonts to the Fonts folder of your InDesign CS 5.5 installation.

2. Uninstall the font from your Windows 10 system, re-install the font in a different way.

Here a quote from Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated:

Install the fonts from your source by right-clicking on the font file and selecting either Install for All Users (this puts a copy in C:\Windows\fonts) or Install as Shortcut for All Users (no copy placed in the Windows font directory). Do Not use the Install option, a new feature of a recent Windows 10 versions which only makes the font visible to the user installing the font. That type of font installation may be the problem, at least with Adobe applications.

Source with more details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/InDesign-packaging-not-packaging-fonts-folder-after-Windows-...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Uwe. As it happens, this is a procedure that I *did* eventually try, having seen that "Install for All Users" seemed to avoid other, similar problems I read about online. Unfortunately, it did not solve mine. However, I was able to get all three fonts I needed installed through trickery: I installed two of the fonts I needed from the OpenType version of the Family, and installed the third from the TrueType version. All three are visible/usable...yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines