• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quotation Marks/apostrophes appearing on baseline?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue with apostrophes and quotation marks appearing on the baseline in every font on InDesign. Anyone know where I can switch this back to normal settings? Also, all characters appear to be facing to the left. Please see attached. Thanks.Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 11.47.36 AM.png

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen in every document you try it in? You might try restoring your InDesign preferences:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

If only one document, there might be corruption, and you could try saving the document as IDML and reopening it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My guess is that you applied the wrong value for "language".

Example: If you apply language "German Reform…" for example the quotation marks will be set like you are currently seeing this.

Change the language value for e.g. US English and type the quotation marks and the apostrophe again. They will change. You could speed up that process with 3 GREP Find/Change actions:

Before a word boundary, find pattern:

\x{201E}(?<=\b)

Change to:

\x{201C}

Result:

DoubleQuotationMarks-BEFORE-WordBoundary.PNG

After a word boundary, find pattern:

(?<=\b)\x{201C}

Change to:

\x{201D}

Result:

DoubleQuotationMarks-AFTER-WordBoundary.PNG

Alright, now I see from your screenshot that your apostrophe looks either like a single quotation mark or, more likely like a comma. You may try this:

Find any comma, that is between word boundaries:

(?<=\b)\x{002C}(?=\b)

Change to:

\x{2019}

Result:

Comma-BETWEEN-WordBoundaries.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines