• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radio Buttons to control visible of an object on another page?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I have a muli page layout that I'm exporting to an interactive pdf. I have radio buttons spaning two pages.  I want a radio button to control the visibility of an text box on a separate page. Is there any work around for this?? it seems that a radio button Actions are limited to the page they live on.

thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question: when refering to "text box" do you mean static text, or a text field?

A text field's visibility on a different page can be controlled with a javascript applied to a radio group on another page. This example is applied to each of the radio buttons.

var a = this.getField("Field1");
var b = this.getField("Field2");

if(event.target.value == "Choice1") {
a.display = display.hidden;
b.display = display.hidden;
}

else if(event.target.value == "Choice2") {
a.display = display.visible;
b.display = display.visible;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First question: when refering to "text box" do you mean static text, or a text field?

A text field's visibility on a different page can be controlled with a javascript applied to a radio group on another page. This example is applied to each of the radio buttons.

var a = this.getField("Field1");
var b = this.getField("Field2");

if(event.target.value == "Choice1") {
a.display = display.hidden;
b.display = display.hidden;
}

else if(event.target.value == "Choice2") {
a.display = display.visible;
b.display = display.visible;
}

By @Jeffrey_Smith

Sorry, by "text box" i acually meant "combo box".

i have no expenence with javascript, ill have to give your suggestion a try.  thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it looks like i can accomplish this by editing the pdf in Acrobat Pro after exporting it from InDesign.  When editing the radio buttons there the show/hide states are available for the entire document.

So the function im looking for is possible, but this would be wayyyy simplier if this could be accomphiosh in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines