• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random hyphens appearing in text pasted from Word

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started noticing random hyphens appearing in text I'm pasting from Word into InDesign. I'm pasting into a series of InDesign docs in a journal that get updated every year, and I've never had this happen before. I just pasted in a 900-word story, for example, and there are 12 hyphens inserted into seemingly random words with no pattern I can detect.

Hyphenation is turned off in both Word and the InDesign paragraph style, so there should be no hyphens.

They’re definitely not discretionary hyphens. I have Invisibles turned on in both Word and InDesign and everything looks completely regular. The words are all followed by a space (blue dot) and there are no special characters.

The screenshot I've attached shows the text in InDesign with the source text in Word below.

Anyone else seen this?

Weird hyphens.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Hi Laubender. Thanks for all your investigating! I just tried to reproduce the problem so I could answer Jongware's question, but for some reason the problem is no longer happening! I'm CUTTING and pasting away, the same text into the same documents, but no hyphens are appearing, which is as much of a mystery as to why it started happening in the first place.

So I'm relieved, but also kind of annoyed?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select one of the "bad" hyphens as your search glyph and replace them with nothing. This will work even if the actual glyph is not a standard hyphen.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for your response! That’s exactly what I did for my initial search.. I too figured it might be a unique “version” of a hyphen, so that’s why I highlighted it and placed it into the find query. Sadly, it did not work -- none of them pulled up in the results of the query. Very odd.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eh. Rats. That usually works for these. (Besides hyphens like these, I had a mangled import that had about ten crypto-formatting variations I could only remove using this method.)

Word imports can drive you crazy. Good luck on finding a key for this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cause and a solution 2023: For me the hyphens appear in places where they would be if hyphenation would be on in Word.  Applies to both cut and copy.  Since I cut short snippets from a Word table, I made the columns so wide that they rarely wrap, which solved the problem.  I assume making the font size very small in Word would also help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soft or discretionary hyphens should not be in most text. Automatic hyphenation does not rely on them being there; it sounds as if some part of the doc creation or editing process inserted discretionary hyphens for hyphenation assistance or override, and ID is importing them as visible characters.

Possibly a search and replace, exchanging all discretionary hyphens for "nothing," might end the problem. I don't have the text code for discretionary hyphens at hand but you should be able to look it up and validate this with a quick search. (THEN do the search-replace.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this is an old thread but the problem is still happening with my 2022 versions of Indesign and Word. What worked for me is this: I noticed that my Word file had hyphenation turned ON. (Although the hyphens that were being added in Indesign were not the same as the end-of-line hyphenated words in Word.) So I turned OFF hyphenation in the Word file and after that, when copying and pasting from Word to Indesign, the problem did not present itself again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That aligns with my notion that newer versions of Word have more than one undocumented change — in this case, actually placing discretionary hyphens for "faster" use (in the web/cloud version?) that are picked up in cut and paste.

Bit of a WAG, but noting that turning hyphenation off eliminates the problem seems to confirm it, and is a useful point — thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had the same issue. Hyphenation is turned OFF. Hyphens appear in InDesign whether copy OR paste is used.  I discovered that the paragraph style has a sneaky little checkbox that, when I selected it, the issue stopped happening.

Make sure the paragraph style in Word has paragraph formatting set to "do not hyphenate." 

Mac:

Modify style > Format Paragrpah > Line and Paragraph Breaks > FOrmatting Exceptions: check "Don't hyphenate"

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 10.14.53 AM.png  Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 10.22.38 AM.png

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines