Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Random hyphens appearing in text pasted from Word

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started noticing random hyphens appearing in text I'm pasting from Word into InDesign. I'm pasting into a series of InDesign docs in a journal that get updated every year, and I've never had this happen before. I just pasted in a 900-word story, for example, and there are 12 hyphens inserted into seemingly random words with no pattern I can detect.

Hyphenation is turned off in both Word and the InDesign paragraph style, so there should be no hyphens.

They’re definitely not discretionary hyphens. I have Invisibles turned on in both Word and InDesign and everything looks completely regular. The words are all followed by a space (blue dot) and there are no special characters.

The screenshot I've attached shows the text in InDesign with the source text in Word below.

Anyone else seen this?

Weird hyphens.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Hi Laubender. Thanks for all your investigating! I just tried to reproduce the problem so I could answer Jongware's question, but for some reason the problem is no longer happening! I'm CUTTING and pasting away, the same text into the same documents, but no hyphens are appearing, which is as much of a mystery as to why it started happening in the first place.

So I'm relieved, but also kind of annoyed?

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select one of the "bad" hyphens as your search glyph and replace them with nothing. This will work even if the actual glyph is not a standard hyphen.

| Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Pro Guide (Amazon)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for your response! That’s exactly what I did for my initial search.. I too figured it might be a unique “version” of a hyphen, so that’s why I highlighted it and placed it into the find query. Sadly, it did not work -- none of them pulled up in the results of the query. Very odd.

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eh. Rats. That usually works for these. (Besides hyphens like these, I had a mangled import that had about ten crypto-formatting variations I could only remove using this method.)

Word imports can drive you crazy. Good luck on finding a key for this one.

| Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Pro Guide (Amazon)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines