Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rasterize/Flatten Image

Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions wanted to know if you could help me out. I know these are probably geared more toward photoshop but I was just curious. Under the Layer menu there is a function called 'Rasterize', what does this do and what is it for?

Second one, let's say I wanted to send a file to the printer from photoshop. Would I want to flatten the image (also under the Layer menu at the bottom) to send a smaller file size or send the file as separate layers? What is the better of the two?

Lastly, if you have a vector image in illustrator or photoshop is it preferrable to keep it vector rather than raster for any reason(s)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2010 Nov 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another one http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/interpolation/interpolation.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene, at this point I guess I can do one of two things...figure out how to do an optical zoom on my digital camera like mentioned in that tutorial or find a place that has high resolution images.

So, do you think if I find a big enough an image (say 24 inches or so) and shrink it down will it be acceptable enough for print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends entirely on the starting resolution of the image and the finished placed size.

If it's 24 inches and 1ppi res then then it's pixel width is only 24 pixels (it has 1 pixel per inch)

If it's 24 inches and has 72 ppi res then it's pixel width is 1728 pixels (it has 72 pixels per inch (72*24 = 1728))

If it's 24 inches and has 300 ppi res then it's pixel width is 7,200

and so on

So if you have a 24 inch image that is 72 pixels per inch - it needs to be scaled 24 % to make it 300 ppi

That means at 300 ppi the image will be 5.76 inches wide.

But of course if it's only 36 ppi to start with, then it will only be 2.88 inches wide @ 300 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean, I just found a website freedigitalphotos.net so that will help to some extent. The problem is that with some of these photos they are of local places I took years back and not altogether sure how to make a digital camera take a high res picture. BTW, in InDesign is it true that the swatch "registration" will not print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite the oppostie. The registration colour should only be used for Crop Marks and Fold marks and page information that reside in the slug area (outside the bleed area) of the document.

Regristation is what it is, used for aligning (registering) inks on top of each other at print stage. So they appear on all plates.

Where did you hear it didn't print?

http://indesignsecrets.com/indesigns-paper-and-registration-colors.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was some amateur tutorial I heard awhile back on youtube.

So are you a graphic designer or a printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was a printer from 1998 - 2001 and graphic designer from 2001 to present.

If you want quality online tutorials check out www.lynda.com - it's not free but it's worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I got 30 free days of lynda.com cause I bought the cs4 software earlier this year, I especially like Deke McClelland's stuff.

Tell me if I have a decent/rational idea of graphic design here...

From everyone I've talked to who is a graphic designer, they like using the phrase "threw me to the lions" to describe their first day on the job. I kinda imagine they're getting calls left and right "where's my product?" and constant multitasking. For awhile I was concerned that I might use an image or something that was someone else's property and likely get sued or fined then eventually fired. I guess all in all, is this a hard job? When they hire are they looking for more creativity or technical expertise? Tell me more about your job and what it's like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every job is different. Your job is outlined at interview stage, along with expectations, and these change/evolve over time.

As for images, make sure you read the license that comes with them, some are free to use, some are commercial licenses and some can be used for other things. Costs vary depending on where you purchase the image. If you don't want to get sued don't do anything that you may think could get you sued.

Consult a solicitor for any matters pertaining to image rights that you are unsure of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As always, thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines