I've packaged and delivered a couple of different inDesign projects to a client using both Oswald-Bold & Oswald-Regular True Type fonts among a couple others. When she downloads the packaged folder and attached packaged fonts to her PC, the Oswalds only show up italicized despite there not being an italic version of the font to choose from.
When she selects the text boxes with the italicized font and switches it to Oswald- Medium (not one of the fonts I used in the packaged docs/ files... this is a version of Oswald she has installed on her computer) the italics go away, but then they are no longer The intended weight.
We've ruled out any mistakenly added character or paragraph styles (that I can see) and I imagine it's an issue with her computer not being able to read the packaged Oswalds that the files were made with.
If you look at the attacked images, there's also this message about Open Type fonts that I've never seen before.
I'm creating these projects on a Mac, running Big Sur latest version and all Adobe apps are up to date. She runs a windows pc, not sure of version, also has updated CC apps.
Any ideas on how to resolve this?
Are the fonts you're using for Oswald from Adobe Fonts?
If so - that's probably the issue - Adobe Fonts won't be packaged with your InDesign file.
It relies on the person opening to also have a creative cloud subscription and to turn on Oswald from their side (or any Adobe Font).
Oswald font is from Google - you should both download and install the same version from the Google library
To be sure of it, I changed the fonts to something completely different in the document saved it, and removed all instances of Oswald from my computer. I then installed fresh versions of Oswald from Google Fonts, and switched the fonts in the document to the new Oswald fonts, and sent her the new packaged file, t telling her to do the same on her end. She did and said she is still getting the same issue. Text is still stuck in italics.
Thanks for sending this over Derek. However, this problem lies in the indd file and it seems this person's issue was with the pdf. I'll run the pdf through some testing in Acrobat to see if it can tell me anything else about the fonts that may be affecting the indd file, but Im not sure I have enough experience with this to be able to know what to look for.
It sounds to me like the fact that your client is on a PC could be the problem. If, as you said, you have been using True Type fonts then there is an issue of incompatibilty depending on whether you are using Macintosh True Type fonts rather than Windows True Type fonts. True Type fonts manufactured for Windows are designed to be "cross-platform". That means that they can be read on a Mac as well as on a PC. True Type fonts manufactured for Macintosh are not designed to be cross-platform. They will not be read correctly on a Windows PC. The only true cross-platform fonts available are Open Type fonts. Hopefully the font you need is available in Open type.