• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative Link Paths

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2007 Jul 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you could set all links, or individual links, within a document to be either absolute or relative.

Every time I change a drive letter or folder name where a linked file is stored, I have to re-link it within InDesign. If I could specify a relative path for these such links (e.g. "../../image.psd") then it would go a long way to avoiding this issue. Making the path type changeable per link would mean files which reside in a folder which never changes would mean you could confidently set them as absolute paths.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, really frustrated that InDesign does not support relative link paths. been search around for a workaround and found out this feature has been requested awhile back, many versions ago. i dont know maybe i have not searched long enough for a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2011 Nov 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until I found this discussion, I thought either everyone else knew how to control hyperlinks in Acrobat or else I didn't know how to phrase the question.  I tried a lot of different ways to find help on the internet, but this is the first link I've found where people seem to have a similar problem to mine.

I came back from a foreign vacation with thousands of photos, and with a lot of great memories of places I couldn't remember much about.  I spent months creating a MS Word 7.0 document where I pasted internet descriptions of all the places, monuments, unique restaurants, etc we'd visited. I created an ~ 10 page Table of Contents at the beginning of the document and hyperlinked each Table of Contents entry to the pages in the document where internet description was pasted.  I stored that document in the same directory with the nearly 2000 pictures we'd taken during the trip.

Next - to the right of each line of the TOC - I typed the filenames of the photographs we'd taken of that that place. Now I could choose a town, or monument from the TOC and jump either to a thorough description of the place or to pictures I'd personally taken. The result was so cool that I decided to share it with some of the people we'd traveled with, so I bought thumb drives and copied my pictures and the 500 page Word document onto the thumb drive.  In the copy of the Word Document I could no longer jump to my pictures.

Bear with me, there's a reason I talk about the Word Document.

While I had the Word Document open - from the thumb drive - I hit ALT +F9 and all the hyperlinks became visible.  I found that the hyperlinks were "absolute" (i.e. they included the full path to the pictures).  Since the thumb drive was a different path.  Word couldn't hyperlink to the pictures anymore.

Here's my point...  In Word, I could globally edit the hyperlinks just as easily as I could globally edit a document.  All I had to do was to globally delete the portion of the address and leave only the filenames of the pictures.  With that done, I hit ALT +F9 again to toggle off the text showing the hyperlinks and the pictures were once more accessible.  My other hyperlinks within the document itself were unaffected.

In Acrobat I can't find any way to get it save the links without inserting the full path - which, of course, changes every time I copy the folder to another medium.  Worse, I can't find any way to edit the hyperlinks as I was easily able to do in Word.  Can Adobe take a cue from Microsoft and provide at least a way to edit hyperlink pathnames?

(Or have they already done it and I'm just too ignorant to know how to do it).  As it stands, there's no convenient way to share my document - Different versions of Word paginate differently, and screw up the formatting,  so Acrobat was supposed to be my workaround to that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2011 Nov 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hngbvf:

In Acrobat I can't find any way to get it save the links without inserting the full path - which, of course, changes every time I copy the folder to another medium.  Worse, I can't find any way to edit the hyperlinks as I was easily able to do in Word.  Can Adobe take a cue from Microsoft and provide at least a way to edit hyperlink pathnames?

You're posting to the InDesign Feature Requests forum, but you appear to have a question about Acrobat.

You're much better off using an Acrobat forum.

I believe you can edit individual links in Acrobat with the Link tool. I am not sure what it means to "globally" edit.

I think you can automate mass changes to those links with Acrobat's scripting interface. This is probably annoying but entirely doable. Again, ask in an Acrobat forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry that I posted the question in the wrong place. Your answer led me to look into Acrobat’s scripting interface. I admit it looks daunting, but I’ve pretty much conquered Visual Basic, so I guess I can work through the 600 + page reference manual I found for the scripting interface. I think you’re probably right that that’s how to fix my problem – at least I hope so, because I haven’t been able to find any other answer in several hours of internet searches for other people offering ways to tame the absolute links.

Again, I’m embarrassed that I didn’t read carefully enough before I posted, but I’m still grateful for your help.

Dave Fetters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like John said, you're question regarding whether or not you can edit hyperlinks is probably best asked in another area. However, this:

hngbvf wrote:

In Acrobat I can't find any way to get it save the links without inserting the full path - which, of course, changes every time I copy the folder to another medium.

...is completely relevant in this thread, in my opinion. Your reference to MS Word is helpful too, because it illustrates how another application deals with the same issue.

It's a really simple feature request: Allow InDesign to create and read links relative to the document location. Right now, it doesn't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NicStage:

In Acrobat I can't find any way to get it save the links without inserting the full path - which, of course, changes every time I copy the folder to another medium.

...is completely relevant in this thread, in my opinion. Your reference to MS Word is helpful too, because it illustrates how another application deals with the same issue.

Huh? Did you read "InDesign" where it says "Acrobat"? Is that what was meant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh? Did you read "InDesign" where it says "Acrobat"? Is that what was meant?

I did do that. Oops!

This thread is about an InDesign issue, not Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent a thank you to John Hawkinson for his suggestion that I might find a way to solve my problem with Acrobat’s refusal to do relative addressing within the Acrobat scripting interface. I also apologized to him, as I do to you, for posting in the wrong forum. I didn’t read carefully enough – I saw “Adobe” and thought “Acrbat”. I had never heard of “InDesign” so I didn’t pay enough attention to realize that it was another Adobe software package. My main motivation for the post was that the Adobe representative didn’t seem sympathetic with the concept that relative address ARE important to some people, and I wanted to add one more voice to the small group who were trying to make that point.

I’m still hoping I can find a solution without tackling the mountain that the Adobe Scripting Interface seems to be, but, I got pretty familiar with VBA over time, so if I have to, I guess I can work my way through the scripting interface as well.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave Fetters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hngbvf/Dave: Note that any reply you send appears publicly on the forum, so you're not addressing individual.

Anyhow, no need to apologize, but you can probably get better answers elsewhere.

In my experience, there's a lot of non-intuitive stuff about Acrobat scripting, and it's confusing how to get started, because the Javascript Debugger is really really bad and you have to write whole files deep into the app preference directory in order to make them executable.

Because of this, it's a really good idea for you to find an example to follow along with, rather than just starting from the reference manual cold, which is a technique I would suggest if you were trying to script something like InDesign.

Yes, Adobe makes piles of piles of other products than Acrobat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that this is an instrumental philosophy issue related to the operating system and that because the computer must deal with any file or folder that had been renamed or moved as the same object (not a way of creating a new one and deleting the old) but exactly the same one with modified characteristics (its name or path) and reflecting these actions not only on operating system level but also communicating with the applications to synchronize these information with the files contents.

As an example of this communication:

The user: I want to rename the file apple.ai to be red_apple.ai.

The OS: Are you intending to create a new file or just change the name?

The user: Just change the name.

The OS: ANNOUNCING (The file apple.ai has a new name).

The user: Open the document Fruits_Menu.indd.

InDesign: Ohh. the file apple.ai gone. Let's ask the OS.

OS: No need to ask any one I hear you clearly, the file hadn't been deleted it's just has a new name which is red_apple.ai.

InDesign: OK. Thanks.

I think technically It's depending on the following:

The OS must understand what user intent when he rename or move a file or folder.

The application must ask the OS for these information.

I don't know if there is a hidden automatic produced ID for every file embedded in somewhere that could distinguish the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this add-on which I has written for InDesign CS6 on Mac using javascript.

There is a command from the add-on that make it possible to rename a "Live Snippet". I hoped if Adobe did the same with links mechanism.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4946725#4946725

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can find the answer here

http://indesignsecrets.com/making-relative-hyperlinks-to-files-in-indesign.php

In case the link stops from working. I copied the essential part:

"In CS4 and CS5, if you use the Hyperlinks panel to make a “File” type hyperlink, it appears to always be absolute. That’s too bad, because a “File” hyperlink seems like just what you’d want.

However, if you choose to make a URL hyperlink instead (choose URL in the Link To pop-up menu), it does create a relative link!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines