• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing a table border using table styles

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've created the top table using cell styles, however I want to be able to recreate it as easily as possible using Table styles, I've created a table style off my table however it keeps adding in outer boarder lines I don't want, when I apply it to a new table, any advice?

Table Style I'm looking for:

Megan31885694u0d0_0-1699897412613.png

Table I get when I apply a footer to the bottom row, I have selected 0pt for my Table Boarder in the hope it would remove all outside line:

Megan31885694u0d0_1-1699897422020.png

Table I get when I don't apply the footer row, it keeps the same style as the rest of the rows and inserts the bottom line which I want removed:

Megan31885694u0d0_2-1699897440535.png

I could just apply 3 different cell styles to the bottom row to remove the lines I want, however multiple people will be using this template and I'd like to create it as straightforward as possible. 

Thanks, 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no solution other than making sure the Table Style has no border defined, and then creating Cell Styles with the correct combination of border edges. There are various ways to expedite that (with the Table Style cell assignments) and automate it (with one script or another), but there is no fundamental, style-based way to do your desired style other than with discrete Cell styles.

If you insist on having no bottom line, you'll need seven of them: HEADER (although you might be able to skip that one with Table Style settings), LEFT (open on the left), RIGHT (open on the right) and CENTER (full border for the middle); and then LEFT-last, RIGHT-last and CENTER-LAST, each with the correct borders omitted.

It might work to have only a trio of cell styles with no bottom border, so that each row's bottom border is provided by the top of the next, which would automatically leave the last border blank. (ETA: just fiddled with this a while, and it looks as if the hierarchy has bottom borders overwrite top ones. So a style with no bottom border will blank the top border on the next row. Specific styles for rows 1 through n-1, and then styles for the last row, would seem to be the only style-based solution.)

One more ETA: a single table style will apply the styles automatically EXCEPT that you will then need to manually apply the right and left footer styles to get open corners. Here are the style setups I used:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1699900288391.png

JamesGiffordNitroPress_1-1699900342478.png

Ask away if any of that's not intuitive enough to replicate. The style applied to a table with one header and one footer row produces:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_2-1699900590287.png

...and you will need to manually set those two highlighted cells.

But that's the only approach short of full scripting, which would best rely on cell styles anyway.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines