Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace selected object on multipage table replacement

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

I have a table that spans over multiple pages which is linked to an Excel file(no problems with that). Now I would like to replace all the content of the table with data from another Excel file. This will be a task which I have to repeat on a regular basis, so I would like it to be as fast & easy as possible. To do so I press Ctrl + D (to open the Plecement window). Now I should be able to select the option "Replece Selected Item" but this is inactive as you can see in the picture (sorry for the german version). Zensiert@3x.png

When doing the same procedure on tables that only span over one page there is no problem. How do I resolve this?

Without this "Replace selected item" option I have to do placement and formatting by hand everytime.

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Emanuel,

(please stop me in my track, if you aint german)

Ich hab ehrlich gesagt mich noch nicht viel mit dem Excel-Import beschäftigt. Was ich aber schnell herausgefunden habe, ist, dass die Excel-Dateien ja nicht verlinked sind, sondern einfach importiert. Hier lässt sich quasi nichts einfach mit einer anderen Quelle umverlinken, wie du es von Bildern kennst. Die Option zum "Ausgewähtes Objekt ersetzen" bezieht sich quasi auf den (Bild/Text-)Rahmen, dessen Inhalt mit der Auswahl ersetzt wird, ob mit zB neuem Text oder Bild.

Was du wahrscheinlich eigentlich suchst, ist die Option, InDesign langen Text selbsständig um ergänzte Seiten vollständig abzubilden: Wenn ich zB einen Textrahmen auf der Musterseite anlege, welche ich auf Seite 1 verwende, dann passiert folgendes. Ich wechsel zu Seite 1. Den Rahmen auf der Musterseite kann ich erstmal garnicht anwählen, weil Musterseitenobjekt und gesperrt. Wenn du jetzt deine Excel-liste lädst, dann hast du die nicht automatisch im gewählten Textrahmen, sondern am Mauszeiger.
Wenn du nun einmal die Alt oder Shift-Taste drückst, siehst du wie ein Symbol an deiner Maus anzeigt, dass etwas mit dem Text passieren soll. Wenn du die Schifttaste nutzt und auf den Textrahmen klickst, dann benutzt InDesign den Musterrahmen und füllt diesen und ergänzt solange Seiten, bis der Text reinpasst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replace command works only with text or graphics on a selected frame, not with threaded text frames.

Excel tables (or Word text files)  by default are not linked, because if relinked any format applied is lost.

Thus when you place your table it does not keep any link with the original file.

I understand that if you wish to replace a table content with content of another table is because you wish to keep some formatting applied already on InDesign or you need to change/update table values.

My advice is to create paragraph styles (character styles if needed too) cell styles and table styles. At least paragraph styles are essentials.

Thus when placing a new Excel table do the same procedure and apply text styles and also cell/table styles if built up too.

Do you want to replace the contents of a table with other ones from a different table or an updated table?

Copy the Excel table cells, in ID select the initial cell you want to start the replacement with, add at least the cell at right and paste. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines