• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Round corners of a table in InDesign

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to round the corners of a table in InDesign?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Technically the answer is no.

But there is an easy workaround. The only drawback is that the Table has to be the only thing in the Text Frame.

1. Select your Table and using the Stroke widget in the Stroke panel, select just the outside Strokes.
  2. Apply None in the Swatches panel to these outside Strokes.
  3. Now, select the Text Frame with your Selection tool (V) and double-click on a corner bounding box point. This should make the Frame the same size as your Table. If it's not, delete any extra paragraph r

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why the correct answer for this is such a kludge fix

Because at the time this was answered, Paragraph Strokes did not exist (see Laubender's answer immediately above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice  looking  table,  philippanmei.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Response #44 is the only answer that works for me and is easy to follow and understand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I won't say my script is now obsolete! ...]

To answer to the comment above:

Saying such things when you only have a few tables to be dealed seems to me, say, ... relevant! ...

But I don't think you will be so peremptory playing with hundreds of tables! ... [not sure we could say "game" here!]

However, I admit I'm not really a good judge of the pain tolerance threshold that can be supported by some who don't have access to such a script!

Between us, my script [in any case, that one] does exactly what you like and want to play!! ... but it is able to process hundreds, even thousands of tables ... just doing one: "clic"! [in French] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No script necessary!

Your solution dit for me the job perfectly!

Many ThnX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using your method, no matter what I do, I get the attached problem. The colored corners are still visible outside of the frame and there is white space on the top and bottom between the border and colored cell. How can I fix this?

Screen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you'll need to embed the table and frame into a second (Image) frame, if you use just one text frame and round the corners, this will offset the table inside because the corners push it in. Embedding in a second frame and rounding the corners of that one prevents this from happening and you're all good.

So: 

Step 1.

Create a new text frame to house your table – this only works if the table is the only thing in the text frame.

Step 2.

Click into the text frame and insert table (or paste in one that you’ve created already)

Step 3.
select the table and just the outside strokes and reduce to 0mm so the table has now borders.

Step 4.

Hover over a corner anchor of the text frame and double click so it matches the size of the table.

Step 5.

Now create an image frame and copy and paste the frame containing the table into this new one, double click the corner again to match the size of the contents.

Step 6.

Select the new frame, choose Object>Corner options… from the top menu and make the corners round. You can then add stroke wieght and colour of your choosing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to necropost, but I came here looking for the same solution. I did the paste inside move on my own and it worked just as I expected. Easy peasy.

However…

Can't export to PDF. Fails and errors each time. Using ID 2022 v17.3

I am able to print to Postscript and render with Acrobat Distiller. But boy that's not user-friendly for non-pro users.

Has anyone successfully done a basic export to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dashard,

printing to PostScript should not be necessary.

Can you see more information about the error if you expand that little triangle in the error message that comes with PDF Export?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it just repeats that the export failed. Is there a log somewhere to review?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know.

What does the document containn besides the table?

Perhaps the error corresponds to a different issue?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple workarounds. Several have given the paste into a frame technique. I didn't look at ALL the responses, but another option is textframes in a cell as anchored objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just saw one that uses paragraph shading/border to futher customize the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

… In a similar way:

Before Script:

Before.png

After Script:

After.png

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines