Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

save pdf text bold

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there

cc 2019  save pdf text bold. what should I do?

indesign text bold.jpgINDD.jpgPDF.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Hi evac92136866 ,

try the following:
Stack your text frame(s) above the graphic frames holding the images.

I assume that there is some transparency on the page that perhaps come with the placed images.

By flattening transparency during export to PDF when using a PDF preset like PDF/X-1a parts of your the text will be converted to outlines in the pdf.

I'd like to see a screenshot of the spread in InDesign in "Normal" view where frame edges are showing and hidden characters.

Also the Layers panel expand

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a new issue? If it is, did you update/install apps recently?

If you highlight the lowercase L in InDesign with the Glyphs panel opened, does it highlight the correct character for the font you are using?

In InDesign, do you have any warnings if you open Type > Find Fonts...  ?

Can you share a screenshot of the Properties panel in Acrobat?

Open your pdf in Acrobat > File > Properties > Fonts

It would be interesting to see how is the font handled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This year's update to cc 2019, you will not see the font after saving it as a pdf file.

The printing factory in Taiwan will require the text of the printed matter to Create Outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi evac92136866 ,

try the following:
Stack your text frame(s) above the graphic frames holding the images.

I assume that there is some transparency on the page that perhaps come with the placed images.

By flattening transparency during export to PDF when using a PDF preset like PDF/X-1a parts of your the text will be converted to outlines in the pdf.

I'd like to see a screenshot of the spread in InDesign in "Normal" view where frame edges are showing and hidden characters.

Also the Layers panel expanded where all elements on the spread are shown with the graphic frames selected.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Finally found the problem.

I solved the problem after swapping the text and image layers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

evac92136866  wrote

Thank you!! Finally found the problem.

I solved the problem after swapping the text and image layers!

Hi evac92136866 ,

do you mean you changed the stacking order of elements and moved the text frames above the image frames?

( Bring To Front command or with the Layers panel. )

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be the way your Acrobat/Reader display preference's are set, and not really the character made bold. Which can easily be determined by zooming in on a problem character in Acrobat, and see if it still appears bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The printed text is indeed thicker.

How do I set the text to not be thicker when previewing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The printed text is indeed thicker.

From your screen capture, there are 2 issue going on: 1. the text on the right half appears bold, and 2. the lowercase "L" appears bold.

Issue 1 can be caused by an image frame overlapping a text frame, and it seems as though you resolved this by changing the stacking/layering order of frames.

With Issue 2, I commented this may be an Acrobat/Reader preview anomaly. Are you saying that the letter "L" is indeed turning into a bold font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

I think both issues have the same cause:

Text is converted to outlines because of transparency flattening during PDF export.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, and after looking over the thread, this comment from OP pretty much confirms.

"The printing factory in Taiwan will require the text of the printed matter to Create Outlines"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PDF has output paper, and the text does have thicker.

Not just the illusion of a PDF preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that shows for me too from time to time. if you zoom in it shows fine. its a display issue with acrobat,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of the pattern of bolding (the right side of the paragraph of text), could this be choking/trapping being applied during the PDF export utility? Use to see this type of slight bolding long ago in the early days of desktop publishing.

I'd examine the size of the graphic frames that hold the graphics and see if they overlap any part of the text. Not concerned about the graphic itself in the frames, but instead their frames and the overlap. If they do overlap or even just touch the text frame, resize the graphic frames smaller and see if that clears up the problem.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer, Trainer, & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A composite PDF exported from Indesign will not show trapping effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually that's true.

But depending upon how he built the INDD file and the export settings when making the PDF, you could indeed see the trapping effects.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer, Trainer, & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,

I still bet it's because of flattening transparencies during PDF export.

Maybe the frames holding the images overlap with the text frame.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines