• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screaming into the void about Type 1 Fonts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to say that ending support for Type 1 fonts is an awful decision that benefits no one. Absolutely hostile to users who pay $60 a month for this privelege. Very bad!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end of T1 was announced in the late 1990s. Everyone had enough time. All OS have ended their support way before so was Adobe very late to end it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're archaic. If you want to keep using them stick with an older version of InDesign and be ready for a complete cut off by Apple and Microsoft sooner rather than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you noticed that your $60/month brings you access to the vast (and fairly-licensed) Adobe Fonts library?

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used them. I hate the idea of choosing a tyeface for a long-term project and then having that typeface disappear like a movie leaving Netflix — this happened to me with Titling Gothic FB, and it really killed my faith in this system 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can continue to buy font licenses...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the font is available any time you're subscribing to the whole tool set, which you'd need — or so it seems — to do any further work on projects.

There are also uncountable fonts for free or low purchase price, including exact clones of the major faces. Many are quite high quality.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My subscription never lapsed, but if a font provider leaves Adobe Fonts, their faces can just disappear overnight.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/where-did-this-font-go-titling-gothic...

Again, I am well aware I can purchase font licenses, I do and have for 20+ years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 fonts were outdated 20 years ago. You'll get much more for your money my moving to OpenType fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The entire computer industry moved to OpenType/Unicode fonts in 2000 — 23 years ago.

You have many options as folks have suggested here.

Also in this related post on the same topic: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/confused-on-acceptable-fonts-to-use-in-indesign-...

Look at the section on Google Fonts. They should be available to you indefinitely so that you won't have disappearing fonts because of licensing issues between Adobe and the font foundaries. And they have a very generous SIL license that let's you use them for commericial and digital products without any additional licensing fees.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines