• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script needed for creating layers in Indesign.

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, this sounds simple and im sure it is.

Im currently getting all WEBSITE designs produced by our creative department in Indesign (speed, ease, lack of training whatever! etc etc)

Im currently layering these elements up manually which is OK, but im sure somebody knows of a script somewhere!!!,

Ive got a SUPERB script that when the indesign file IS LAYERED I can make it a photoshop PSD thats ALL smart objects etc so Its perfect for web psds. Its amazing, if i can find a script that layers the Indesign document as well PRIOR TO RUNNING THE OTHER SCRIPT, I can quite literally do nothing and just watch the machine do the work!!

I look forward to your replies!!

Paul

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Here's "Objects to layers" script.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the scripting forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Peter, any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you decide which elements go in which layers, in your manual process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally need every element on a seperate layer, so each text box on a different layer, each picture on different layers etc, so if i had 80 elements (made of text and pics) I would have 80 layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - how do you name your layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how about groups?

Can you upload a sample document? In theory it's not very hard to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vamitul

Im sure its very simple but I never seem to be able to find the answer!!, basically if you have 1 page with say 40 text fields and 40 pictures on there, it would through default create it all on 1 layer which is the standard practice and how Indesign has always worked.

Once I have had the design approved thats been created in Indesign I need to get each element on a seperate layer Ie 80 layers. I currently do this manually! (So the next action I do is use a script I have that turns it into a LAYERED.psd).

I simply want to have a script which puts each element on a seperate layer.

Help me Vamitul, I get a good feeling about you!, you could be my saviour!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a very basic implementation. Possibly error proned, will treat groups as a single item.

function main(){

var doc=app.activeDocument;

var myItems=doc.pageItems.everyItem().getElements(), l=myItems.length;

while (l--){

myItems.move(doc.layers.add());

}

alert('Done!\nYou can go outside and play now!');

}app.doScript('main()',undefined,undefined,UndoModes.fastEntireScript,'All to layers');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will give a whirl and come back to you, cheers for your help so far really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's "Objects to layers" script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! -

Thankyou Kasyan Servetsky, you have saved me literally years of work . UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Vamitul, the current script I have to create the psd is no use with groups, everything has to be on a seperate layer. Doesnt matter about naming the layers as long as the indesign doc is fully layered!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen, I dont need to name the layers it can simply be Layer 1 to Layer 80 for example. Once the design has been done (ie on 1 layer) I need to create a .psd for the web guys, the script I CURRENTLY have needs the Indesign doc in Layers ie if theres 80 elements then i need 80 Layers ( i currently do this manually) but its a hell of a lot quicker than creating it in Photoshop from scratch. to create a psd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines