Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ScriptUI and Hi-res Monitors

Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a client running one of my ExtendScript scripts on a 3000 x 2000 display and he says that the ScriptUI dialog boxes display very small. The script runs in Adobe FrameMaker so I am not sure if this is a function of the target application or ScriptUI in general. Are there any know issues with ScriptUI dialogs and hi-res monitors? Thank you very much.

-Rick

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frameexpert  wrote

…  the ScriptUI dialog boxes display very small. …

Hi Rick,

I bet that's a universal ScriptUI problem, but cannot tell exactly.
What is the Windows version of your client's machine?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, Windows 10. Thanks for your reply. -Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Uwe said that's a frequently reported ScriptUI problem, especially in Win10 environment associated to high res monitor.

In InDesign CC a workaround is to uncheck the "High-PPI Displays, Scale the UI" checkbox (Preferences > UI Scaling.)

But is there a similar pref in FrameMaker?

@+

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

No such setting in FrameMaker. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for resurrecting an older thread, but this is now a major issue for our company. We're moving from Mac to Windows and are about to purchase a dozen Surface Studio 2 PCs. Because of their high PPI, Windows 10 defaults to 200% scaling and InDesign CC 2019 wants to scale its interface accordingly.

With our custom scripts that depend heavily upon ScriptUI, this creates havoc. We have a situation where the ScriptUI window changes its size when the user clicks a certain control. On macOS, this was never an issue. With this scaled UI on Windows, however, the ScriptUI window immediately jumps to a new location to the right and down some on the screen, forcing the user to move it so that it can all be visible again. This happens every time [window object].size is reassigned with a new array of values. When the UI is not scaled in InDesign, the problem does not occur. However, everything is tiny, making the controls hard to see, natch.

I have tried using the [window object].location property, but this causes even more havoc. The various groups and controls inside the ScriptUI window are shifted around, becoming a mess; sometimes they disappear entirely! (I already have to call [window object].size on the initial draw of the window because the UI scaling screws that up, too.)

Is there any news about Adobe planning to fix this problem in the near future, or is ExtendScript (and, consequently, ScriptUI) just too darned old and rarely used by anyone for them to give a rat's sphincter about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now I run into the same problem with ScriptUI in InDesign 18 (2023) on Mac! Obviously not yet fixed 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that helps to detect the situation, but not to solve it, unfortunately. I guess we will have to rewrite scripts with ScriptUI in UXP 😬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines