We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
I've used InDesigns "New hyperlink from URL" function to create hyperlinks in a reference list. Many of the URLs are long and break over several lines. They show up with green dots in InDesign's Hyperlinks panel, and when exported to interactive PDF, Acrobat and Mac's Preview reads them fine. However, in the Tags panel, the long links look broken into several Link OBJR and Span elements. Will this be an issue for accessibility?
Does anyone have insight to share about this? Maybe I put it in the wrong forum and it's more about Acrobat...?
Yes, that has been happening since forever in InDesign. And it's a problem with the export converter: same problem happens when using PDF Maker from Word. Therefore, it probably is an error in InDesign's export utility and Adobe's PDF Maker, which are developed by a separate engineering team at Adobe.
The entire URL should be in the <Link> Tag with one <Link - OBJR> sub-tag , not 2 or more <Link - OBJR> sub-tags.
Multiple <Link - OBJR> subtags can affect accessibility in some assistive technologies, and also when the content is migrated to different technologies, such as HTML, XML, EPUB, etc. or when the content reflowed.
Having it tagged based on the lines of text as they appear in InDesign is not helpful.
See this user bug report at https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39062443-multiple-text-...
And VOTE to have it corrected!
Thank you, Bevi! This is very helpful, and I will vote for the bug report. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I fix the tags in Acrobat? There aren't so many in this case, so it would be possible to do it manually.
You can use Acrobat's regular tools to delete the hyperlink (that's the <Link> tag itself and all of its <Link-OBJR> sub-tags).
Then select the link, right-click, and select Create Link. This process will tag it correctly.
Thanks! Deleting the link works, and adding a new link does too, but nothing happens in the tag tree when I create the new link. The newly added link works, i.e. I can click it, but whatever was in the tag tree before adding it is still there and nothing new is added.
I found some instructions to touch up reading order, but I can't make it work when the URL starts mid-line, i.e. can't be captured in a rectangle, like in my screenshot in the original post.
If there are any other tricks to try, I'd be super grateful!