• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simoultainous editing with InDesign document and Drop box

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simultaneous editing with InDesign document while the original is online. Is there a way that two people can work on a document, but NOT be able to if the other person has the document open?

As example:

I made a book file with multiple documents. There are two primary designers who will work on these. They are up on a Dropbox folder where we use both the application and the browser application. The browser app allows you to see when someone edited anything as it's a history. I know when you open a document, InDesign creates the lock file where the document is stored. Is there a way to ensure that the file is locked and cannot be opened by another person, or anyone for that matter?

Basically ensure that two people can work through a book and on different documents within, and not interfere with editing, or cause conflicted copies.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pick up the phone and communicate. The lock files don't sync so that's really the only way to avoid conflicted copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing this would consume time. I'm looking to create a smooth workflow. If I was to start working on a file, or wanted to work on a file, I would have to stop and wait for a reply from the others who would be sharing files. This is counterintuitive to a good production workflow. A good workflow should allow for each user to work without having to stop and reach out to others. 

I'm looking to improve workflow, not include more steps. Perhaps this should be a request for Adobe to incorporate some new script into the software that would work intuitively. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's the same for every cloud storage service that I've used. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive (which is one I would avoid) and even Adobe's own CC Storage act the same. InCopy lock files do sync and make InCopy workflows very smooth.

I haven't needed to use it, but Kasyan did post a link to his script, so give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @flygraphics , If the lock files did sync and a collaborator trying to open a locked file got a "File in use" message, how would a case like this work: I’m working on a laptop, open the file, make a change, save and close the laptop with out closing the InDesign document, and leave on vacation. The file would be locked to the other collaborators until I return from vacation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what happens when InCopy is closed improperly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn’t vote for that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! That script works great. Once I had assigned each user their name in the panel dialogue, the warning came up. Though the document still opened for them, the warning is good for now. At least others can be aware that someone else is working on a document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines