• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spaces Disappear When Importing Word Doc Into InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing a Word doc (MS Word 365 for Mac, El Capitan) into InDesign CC 2015, all of the spaces disappear - causing all of the text to run together.

The spaces in the Word doc we start with look fine, but when we import (not copy and paste, but import) it into InDesign, the spaces aren’t included.

Does anyone know why this happens and what we can do to stop it? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

This was happening to me when I imported a Word doc into a blank InDesign file. Turns out the text in the Word doc was justified. I left aligned everything and reimported with no issues 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution just saved me hours of work. I was supplied with a large legal document of a word file that was an export from a pdf. The word document looked fine but import into indesign removed most spacing. Thank you so much for sharing this tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks so much, I was also converting a PDF to a word doc, all the spaces seemed find in the word doc but then when I placed it some of them were missing, esspecially in all the headings, but some of the body copy too. Find and replace spaces for spaces, save, place again and it all worked!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If anyone is struggling to get the file to import after doing the above, saving it down to lower version of ms word helped clear out any remaining issues that popped up."

"This comment should be #1 on this conversation."

Hm. I disagree. Why?

Well, the original source of the formatted text of our OP BNO-Kofi Bonner was not a Word file.

The word file was done by exporting texts from a PDF using Acrobat Pro DC.

If someone can see a solution in saving a Word file to a previous version, the issue is a different one and should be discussed in a new thread.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very important distinction point, @Laubender. Thanks for adding it here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me when I imported a Word doc into a blank InDesign file. Turns out the text in the Word doc was justified. I left aligned everything and reimported with no issues 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution. I am sure it will help other community members. In addition to this solution if anyone else experiences similar issues with files on two different computers, please ensure you have the same fonts installed.

Thanks
Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines