• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Special Shaped Tables

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make special-shaped tables that flow in InDesign?  I'm working on a book that has tons of tables, but it goes on a bottle, and so has a curved edge at the top (upper right on odd pages, upper left on even pages).  I'm trying to find a way to create the tables so that they will still flow with the text - sort of the way paragraph shading works with curved or special-shaped text boxes, but I need to add columns and not just one row.  Is this possible?  Does anyone know of any workarounds?  If I build each table with lines and the book reflows, every table will need to be redrawn.  Attached is a screen shot of a simple, one cell box for a visual.  Is there any way this is possible with a table?  This book is 50 pages - there has to be a way other than hand-drawing each individual table, right?  Any help would be very much appreciated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

I think you've found something ID can't do.

Rather than have the table flow, what about empty cells in that upper corner and a drawn arc? Close an idea as I can muster... can't think of a way to make this happen with content flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've found something ID can't do.

Rather than have the table flow, what about empty cells in that upper corner and a drawn arc? Close an idea as I can muster... can't think of a way to make this happen with content flow.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, there might be a way that's gets you there, or at least part way. If you have a sub to Linkedin Learning, check out the section in my course on InDesign Tables:  "Tables that don't look like tables" Chapter 9: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-tables/.

It would involve anchoring a shape that does that cut out for you. Here is a super-simple example with a colored circle, just so you can see it there. You can set an object style that positions the cutout left or right, depending on which page it falls on. 

DianeBurns_0-1658446627961.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, James and Diane!

In order to get this out on time, I mostly did what James said, except where I only needed one column, then I was able to use paragraph rules to get the horizontal lines within a special-shaped textbox.  I just hope they don't want to add or take out a bunch - reflowing will not be fun, lol!

As soon as I get time, I'm going to look into the "Tables that don't look like tables" lesson, though.  This may be a better way to approach these files in the future - I just need to look into it further!

Thank you both again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's always a way to do it in ID... but the last thing you can get into the mix, in many cases, is easy reflow. Especially with tables.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines