Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spell Check

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have a spell check script for Indesign to check the spelling in Indesign. But the problem is I have to click on this script to execute it. 

My propose is the artist get a message to check to spell before closing the document.

Is any option that this script active once the artist opens the InDesign file.

Thanks,

Pramod

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I would say millions of thanks to you for helping me to create this script possible. I'm seeking last help on this script.

How can display InDesign dictionary Language name through this script? or we can add some code to this script to display the name of the dictionary Language name.

Thanks,

Pramod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the dictionary: In my working environment, we use a third-party spell checker with a custom dictionary, thus I have no experience with scripting the Adobe dictionaries. There are, however, several discussions on this forum about how to address them. It would appear that you can extract the name of the dictionary like this:

app.textDefaults.appliedLanguage.spellingVendor;

Even better, you can extract an array of available dictionaries like this:

app.textDefaults.appliedLanguage.spellingVendorList;

And activate one of them like this:

app.textDefaults.appliedLanguage.spellingVendor=app.textDefaults.appliedLanguage.spellingVendorList;

where n = the desired index in the spellingVendor list

You need to be more clear about what you want to do and when you want to do it. Do your designers have to switch dictionaries? If so, I'd display a list when the page opens so that they can select a dictionary then. This would be especially appropriate if they are using dynamic spellcheck. If not, I wouldn't bother asking them or even telling them what dictionary is active; I'd make sure they were using the one they're supposed to be using. That's probably something that could be done once, in a startup handler.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

We have a client Archant, we are doing multi-language jobs for this client. Our company is running three shifts in a day.

My concern is if afternoon shift designer working on Russian language and active its dictionary and night shift designer has allocated Japanese language job and forget to change the dictionary. Therefore it might be the cause of any error.  It avoids this type of error if a script display language name after open the InDesign file.

I would be very grateful if you add this function to the script check script.

Thanks,

Pramod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I would like to know if the Mac threw an error on

$.getenv("USERNAME");

or did it return null?

I'd also like to know if your Mac has a file called "spellCheckLog.csv" on the desktop after the script runs.If so, it should contain a line pinpointing the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

We got this error "TypeError: null is not an object." on Mac and no .csv file generated on Desktop. You have omitted this code and script working fine. But the usernames do not exist in the CSV file, because you ignored that code.

Thanks,

Pramod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there is no .csv file on the desktop, I suspect that the Mac error comes from this line:

var logFilePath = Folder.desktop + "/" + "spellCheckLog.csv";

To work on both platforms, I think it should be:

var logFilePath = Folder.desktop.fsName + "\\spellCheckLog.csv";

I won't be able to update my dropbox file until tomorrow.

I see that you have started another thread about your dictionary questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob,

Is there a way to modify your script to happen on export instead of on closing the layout window?  I'm new to scripting and I tried ot modify, but didn't have any success.

Thanks,

Stacey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines