• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subscript trough text search

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a BIG indesign file in which CO2 is mentioned a bunch of times. The problem is that the 2 needs to be in subscript. When I use the text search function i can opt to selecte every word that is written as CO2, the only problem is that I can't change the 2 to a subscript 2, because the typing window doesn't seem to support it. Any advice on how to go about this problem? 

TOPICS
Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either use GREP in Find&Change - or use GREP as part of ParaStyle options - but you need to wait for someone else to give you the phrase 😞

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d go for the GREP style.

You need a character style called (for example) Sub, which makes the character subscript. Then use the GREP style panel in the Paragraph Style to apply it to all occurences of (?<=O)2.

Note that it will apply subscript to all instance of capital O followed by 2, such as H2O and O2. But I guess you would want that anyway.

davidnmicrowe_0-1674567910986.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typos. Occurrences and instances I meant, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all instances of capital O followed by 2, such as H2O and O2

Well, H2O isn't an instance of O followed by 2 🙂

And I would use a one-off replacement rather than a grep style: the style is executed every time a story recomposes (which happens a lot),so you can get lags.

So, in the GREP tab of the Find/Change window:

Find what: \bCO\K2

Change to: <leave empty>

Change format: subscript (or a subscript character style)

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @defaultierels3upfei 

do you only have CO2 in your document? Then I would also prefer the Grep shown by @Peter Kahrel 

Or more chemical terms like that? Info: Do not use such Grep styles in large documents -> performance goes down the drain!

pixxxelschubser_0-1674591990922.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines