• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly can't drag objects... tried several potential solutions with no luck so far.

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden I am not able to drag objects in any InDesign document (Well, I assume it's ANY document. I've only tested a few.) I can drag handles/corners to resize an object; I can nudge an object with arrow keys; I can move objects using Object > Transform > Move; but I can't drag anything with the mouse/trackpad.

This is happening with all objects in all of the documents I've tested (both text objects and image objects). I've tried using a trackpad and a mouse. I checked to be sure that objects were not locked or anchored. I've trashed the preferences. Still no luck.

I'm using InDesign CS4 on Mac Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I have Better Touch Tool installed -- with the trackpad I do not have any actions that are specific to InDesign but with the mouse I do, to disable two-finger scrolling in the app. The trackpad is the only new thing on the computer...

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

First thing I would try is uninstalling the Better Touch Tool.

And you say you trashed the prefs, but I like to be sure that you've really done a complete job. For ID there are two files that need to be replaced, and they live in different folders, so sometimes users do only half the job. Please see Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is what was giving me problems. If you have time, please contact the Pushbullet developers and let them know. I did. They were aware of the problem but I haven't followed up with them to see where they are with an update. The more of us that complain, the more wiling they will be to try to find a solution.

I love Pushbullet but have had to go without the extension in Chrome in order to get work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off the Universal Copy/Paste in the Push Bullet preferences. This has cured the problem for other users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent feedback to the dev the same day I put in my comment here, and what you said here is just what they told me. So I tried it, and Pushbullet, InDesign & Illustrator been all been working just fine for me since then. It would have been good to have universal copy and paste I guess, but I'd actually never used it anyway, so no matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2015 Sep 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing Pushbulet did weeks of scratching my bold head how to fix the problem
Huge I mean HUGE Thanks for the advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I JUST had this problem. I'm on PC. Read all the posts and then uninstalled Chrome. Success. I can now drag items. I had loaded Chrome last week to compare a website with the WP admin site. If I get the problem again, I'll let you all know. But for now? Goodbye Google Chrome.

BTW, I am having a freezing problem with my Android that can be solved only by uninstalling the latest Google update. Strange? Or does the BIG G now own a fleet of black helicopters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that prblem on my Mac, since I have uninstalled Pushbullet Chrome

Extension, all problems disappeared

Try it on PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My turn to have this problem and of course I am on deadline with a newspaper!

How do I delete this plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Chrome browser, go to Window > Extensions. Look for Pushbullet. Uncheck 'Enabled'.

You'll probably have to restart your computer. Worst case, after turning Pushbullet off and restarting, you may have to clear InDesign preferences. Here's instructions for that...

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're not on deadline and can't get by without Pushbullet (like me), try Larry's suggestion above regarding turning off Universal Copy/Paste in the Pushbullet preferences. I did and so far the problem has not resurfaced.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to delete preferences and restart about once daily to work. Even without Chrome (and I never had Pushbullet) I have this issue, only since installing CC. Adobe spoke to me and said it is an Apple issue, suggested I make a new user account, but others in this forum have found that does not work either. I hope this will be fixed by someone soon. Please keep us posted if you find other solutions. Nothing I have tried has worked longer that a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other thing I can suggest is what Peter Spier mentioned above. And that's rebooting your computer in Safe Mode and working in InDesign to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then you have a conflict between InDesign and some other software. Safe Mode keeps background software from booting. Then you'll have to figure out what's running in the background that's causing the conflict with InDesign.

Note: Boot in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key.

Happy hunting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen to me today after updating to the latest version of Chrome. I only had one extension enabled in Chrome which was Avast and as soon as I disabled it InDesign works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

has anyone found a solution to this problem, it is really stopping me from using illustrator.

thank you

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a single solution when it's a problem of conflict with other software.

It requires carefully eliminating software one by one to find the culprit. You have to be the detective in a good mystery novel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling Chrome fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution for Mac:

-Delete inDesign Cache on ~/Library/Caches

-Delete inDesign Preferences on ~/Library/Preferences

-Removed a Conflicting 'Helvetica' version

-Reset PRAM of Computer

And that's All. Everything worked properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- My solution -

I had an issue both with InDesign and Illustrator for three months not able to move objects on a Mac using a Intuos 3 tablet but now it's working. Here's what I did:

- deleted preferences (InDesign and Illustrator)

- deleted Chrome plugins

- deleted all fonts in Font Book that were flagged as Caution (Yellow)

- restarted computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on PC and last week had this problem with InDesign. Read all the responses and realized I'd just installed Chrome to double check a web installation while I was in the admin in FireFox. So I deleted Chrome entirely. Now it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Indesign 2015 and have been struggling with this issue for the last few months, too. At first, thought it was a Yosemite thing. Turns out its my preferences. Deleted those, now InDesign is working again! I do use Chrome quite often, so I'll try un-instaling to see if that helps prevent this from happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a long-time user of both InDesign and Chrome, I have no Pushbullet extension, or any new extensions at all. I updated my Adobe CC and immediately I cannot move any objects in InDesign.

I have scrapped both preferences files as suggested.

Uninstalling Chrome is NOT a workable option, as it has the best developer tools. I have no idea how this is suddenly a problem and am very upset with Adobe's lack of support on the issue. As a professional designer, not being able to work on any of my projects is a HUGE problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a professional designer too, and we use our work email through gmail.  I also had the dragging issue.  I've been troubleshooting it for two weeks with our IT guy.  Reset preferences worked once....restarting the computer worked for awhile.  Onyx & disk utility did nothing.  Deleted most chrome extensions (I didn't have ANY of the extensions listed here to delete). The ONLY thing that has consistently worked is deleting Chrome entirely.  It SUCKS! This is the ONLY thread that has helped me.  Something needs to be done about this.  Whatever the conflict is with Chrome, it's ridiculous.  Maybe we should be contacting Chrome instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this applies to anyone. I had recently installed the Nik collection since Google made it free. I uninstalled it for Photoshop, and my problem in InDesign resolved immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered that another cause of the issue is the program synergy - which makes sense, as it shares your mouse and keyboard between computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may indeed be the source of the problem for me. I had synergy installed on my last laptop and had this problem. I no longer have it on the new one, and everything works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

+1 for Synergy being the culprit. 

I didn't remove it though, just stopped it while using any CC programs (it was affecting Ps too).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines