• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents - my chosen paragraph styles are re-producing unwanted character styles from book

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Just set up TOC first time. 

In my book, the chapter numbers and chapter names were paragraph styled and spaced differently.

I would like them to come up on one line on the TOC, in Italian

Capitolo 1 La vostra personalità & COP.....

I therefore assigned the same para style to both chapter name and title, then used a character style to differentiaate the chapter name part.

Now, the character style, along with the paragraph style from the page in the actual book, is being imported into the TOC. Meanwhile, the actual name of the chapter appears as it should in the TOC. 

I was about to pat myself on the back, thinking I'd found a solution. But, instead. No! Boo hoo!

Can anyone explain what I should do here?

Thanks in advance. 

Kirsten

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 17.07.19.pngScreenshot 2022-02-05 at 17.06.47.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us waht you want the TOC entry to look like -- I can't quite tell from your description.

It sounds, though, like you are assigning the smae style in the body text and the TOC, which is probably a mistake here. Defining a new style to use in the TOC would probably solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kirsten:

Is the TOC in the same .indd file as the content it is pulling from? (The alternative is to use separate documents and pull them together with a book file.)

• If yes, you will need to remove the character style each time you update the TOC, becuase it will continue to pull it in. 
  • If no, you can create a character style with the same name in the TOC file, but remove all formatting so that it doesn't do anything. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would depend on how it was applied. If applied through a nested or Grep Style it would not come in wityh a new style applied in the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines