• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table text in ToC

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing a book where the author wants headers from multiple tables to appear in the table of contents. inDesign is not recognizing the paragraph titles because the text is inside multiple tables. Is this even possible? For instance, the book has over a hundred tables that are an athlete's name (as a header), then stats in cells below. That athlete's name must appear in the ToC, but inDesign is not finding the text. I'm guessing because it's not in the direct story flow and inside tables. ???

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Figured it out! Basically I'm an idiot. I mistakenly had two paragraph styles named exactly the same, except one had a hyphen in between the words. I was selecting the wrong paragraph style! 🤦‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working perfectly fine for me:

RobertTkaczyk_1-1711661464996.png

Even with 4x levels of nesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screenshot of the Table of Contents set-up window? That will help us figure out what's going on.

The fact that the text is in independent boxes should have nothing to do with its not being grabbed for the TOC. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's something wrong with how you've entered the parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make it crystal clear, TOCs work by finding assigned paragraph styles; that means the desired headings inside the table have to be tagged with exactly those styles.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out! Basically I'm an idiot. I mistakenly had two paragraph styles named exactly the same, except one had a hyphen in between the words. I was selecting the wrong paragraph style! 🤦‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Yes, style names are fussy-fussy.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're not an idiot! For a beginner, kudos to you for figuring it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines