• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Box Alignment Challenge - for NL Language Text

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I have a flyer that I am republishing in multiple languages. The Dutch text is posing an alignment challenge. I have tried Break Character>>Paragraph Return and also attempted manually adjusting by hitting ENTER- however, this is not resolving the text alignment issue. Any tips to make it better?

Challenge - the screenshot below

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the goal is to allign the body text after a one- or two-lines-headline, you have some options:

1.) You could use the value of your line_spacing (7.5 pt) as space_after. Just type 7.5pt and InD transforms into your countrys units, …like 2,646 mm. Now you can use a pre-line break the following paragraph.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-19 um 11.25.11.png

2.) Or you could set the textbox-allignment to botton, if you have the same ammount of lines in body text. No add a linebreak after headlines with just one line.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-19 um 11.30.46.png

3.) Or you can work with two linked textboxes. Maybe you have to set the paragraph styles breaking to keep_togther.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-19 um 11.43.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another one, probably best practise, but fiddeling with the baseline grid (is not really my cup of tea.

4.) Set your body text paragraph to "allign to baselie grid: first line". Now go to InDs preferences and modify your baseline grid, to e.g. start at y=30. 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-19 um 12.04.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jan,

this is excellent advice. But because the baseline grid you are showing is a document property I would do this with the baseline grid of a text frame. The frame could even have several columns where a headline is enforced to start at the next column.

From my German InDesign text frame options showing the baseline grid of the text frame in "Gold".

Start is 20 mm away from top to give room for the headlines that are not aligned with the grid:

TextFrame-Baseline-Grid-2.PNG

Paragraph formatting of the second headline where I define Start of Paragraph in Next Column:

StartParagraph-NextColumn.PNG

And of course all my text that comes after the headline and before the next one is aligned to the baseline grid:

Paragraph-AlignToBaselineGrid-All-Lines.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines