• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Disappearing and limited Undos in InDesign CC

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Creative Cloud. I have a iMac Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 I upgraded the OS to 10.9.1 a couple of months ago in preparation. In the InDesign 9.2 CC. My text randomly disappears while I am working on it. I have to click off it then click back where I think it is and send to the front to get it back. Sometimes just zooming in and out will bring it back or other various things. It is not actually deleting the text just the view of it, but I can't work on it if I can't see it. It is really annoying and cutting into my productivity. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, I am unable to do more than 1 or 2 undos where as in CS 5 I could do multiple undos. Is that normal for CC? Is there somewhere you can set the number of undos? I could not find anything under preferences. This is also a problem as I am used to being able to go back a few steps when I change my mind on something.

Any help on either issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 204 Replies 204
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe too early to post this, but in the interest of balance I seem to be operating normally. Can't really explain why - keeping my ey out for a file that plays up then I can send it over for review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some facts:

Indesign 9.2 CC released 16 January 2014

This thread started 24 February 2014

Indesign 9.2.1 CC released 25 March 2014

I first complain about these problems 17 April 2014

Indesign 9.2.2 CC released 11 June 2014

Indesign (10) CC 2014 released 15 June 2014

Some figures: 217 days since this thread was started; 86 replies to this thread; 5932 views of this thread; 3 updates and 1 new version of Indesign released by Adobe in this time; Adobe's fixes to this problem – 0.

BDinkar, can I please ask you and your colleagues to look at gridirect's very first post title and read what it says underneath in bold red type.

Adobe – you have a great many very, very frustrated and unhappy customers who use Indesign daily as a key part of their livelihood and that pay you monthly fees to use a product that as it stands is costing them time and losing them money and is quite frankly not fit for purpose. Please, can you tell us what you are doing to rectify this issue, that you are working on a solution, that some(****ing)thing is happening?

Euan Carmichael

Creative Director

The Covey Agency

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - only 2-3 undos and text disappearing until I zoom in or out. I am on 10.7.5 NOT Mavericks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue seems to be back. As I was working on the file I saved a supplementary to my desktop I'll whiz over to the relevant address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as well. No multiple undos (often 0-3) and randomly disappearing text. OSX 10.9.2 and Indesign CC 9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having this problem about 2 weeks ago.

I can't recall installing any new software or any new OSX updates. I have removed my preference and the problem is still present.

I get both the text disappearing and unable to undo, I can undo 1-2 times.

Very frustrating not being able to undo as I now have to load previous saves which sometimes up to 30 minutes of work lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues (both) Undo is terrible. Not getting more then 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the randomly disappearing text and the limited undos, I noticed that exporting to PDF from InDesign can now take a very long time and I am unable to use InDesign while the background task is proceeding. This tends to happen with documents containing several files, however previously this was not a problem. Occasionally while waiting for a PDF export I get an alert telling me scratch disk memory is almost full…even though I have 500gb of free space!

I'm stating to suspect that all of these issues are linked to a memory management problem with InDesign…any thoughts?

I have 2 x  iMacs running same version of Indd (9.2.1) on 10.7.5 OS and this is happening with both of them, so it's not a machine based problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2014 May 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 2 updates from adobe, the issue is still not fixed. There are 29 replies to this thread and similar threads to the same issue in other sections. How long does it take until adobe fixes a genuine bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm the same problem on several machines in our studio, on different configs, iMacs, MacPro. Limited undo and text disappears in OSX 10.9.2 and in 10.9.3.

I have a 3 ghz 8-Core Xeon E5 with 32 Go ram, Two AMD 700 and 400 go of free space on my SSD. Same problem.

InDesign is up-to-date on all macs (9.2.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still struggling too. A 20 pager I was working on yesterday didn't have any undos at all which is annoying, and the text disappeared all the time. Not good when trying to finalise artwork for print. I have sent files over before and the problem wasn't able to be replicated - I can do that again with this job but its a biggie once collected?

This issue is a real pain when it happens, and boy does it slow workflow down!

It kinda does need sorting...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…so obviously a (by now) known bug. Any response from Adobe as to when we can expect a fix? I've noticed that the frequency of version updates has slowed down…hopefully this means Adobe are spending a bit more time testing them BEFORE release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will ad to the possibilities or muddy the waters even more... It doesn't seem to be file specific for me. I have a template file for my time sheets that has never misbehaved, just now it has?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's still an issue.  Five months now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it looks like we're on our own with this and that Adobe doesn't care much about this, has anyone had any luck with deleting and reinstalling InDesign CC? How does one do this anyway, if the CC app says that InDesign is up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2014 Jun 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstall it, reset its preferences, erase everything in the library etc... the problem re-appears every time. It slows our productivity. The undo and the font display issue appears strangely together. By the way i repair permissions also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2014 Jun 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also Reset preferences in Creative Cloud?

Sign in at creative.adobe.com

Go to user name or icon in upper right corner of page.

Click My Application Settings

List comes up click on clear settings next to InDesign

I deleted the 2 folders on my computer described in the resetting preferences doc, but I forgot to do this as well the first time.

I just deleted preferences again and did it this time. We will see if it makes a difference.

I also still have older versions of InDesign (CS5 and CS3) still sitting on the computer. I don’t run them, but they are there. Could that be the issue? Anyone else with this issue still have their older version on their computer?I was reluctant to delete CS5 because that was our last copy before we switched to the monthly cloud. If I want to delete them or at least CS3. How do you make sure you trash everything. If I do an uninstall from the original disks will it try and delete any of my current InDesign Files?

Laura Farrell

Senior Art Director

The GRI Marketing Group

203-261-3337 ext 12

lfarrell@gridirect.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue with indesign. Only 0-2 undoes, and text disappearing. i thought it was a ram shortage, as I upgraded my os and indesign, then the issues started. Now i'm realizing it might just be a bug, so i won't bother rushing out to get memory yet.

It doesn't seem as if anyone has discovered how to fix the problem? It sounds like re-installing doesn't take care of it. Any new news on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue ever since I started using the Creative Cloud Version instead of my CS5.5 hard copy.

It is unstable and I will go back to using my old version. Someone needs to fix this. It is too time consuming to have to

fool with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run an art dept and all 3 of my designers on their machines are having the same problem of the text disappearing and the undos going away in InDesign CC. We all have different machines, (1) i5 and (2) i7 mac book pros, running mavericks. The text disappearing problem is more of an annoyance, because when you zoom out and back in it reappears.

Seems like Adobe was initially interested in this issue but now has given it up. Come on Adobe fix this problem—not having Undos is affecting ability to work quickly.

I am considering having my designers go back to CS 6. We didn't have half the issues we are having with CC.

Thanks!

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on CS6, but get files from people with CC (I also have CC but don't like working in it due to the wide palette windows taking up too much room.) Anyway, I'm having the problem of disappearing text and limited undos as well. I have a brand new MacBook pro, and running the latest version of OS, 10.12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? I started having this issue with my new iMac Pro 2017 running 10.13.3, which I purchased a week ago and have limited undos 2-3 and text disappearing too. The odd thing is, I do not have that problem on my Macbook Air, which is running the same system and CS6 as well. This has become quite annoying and unproductive. I tried calling into Adobe and they give no phone support for CS6 InDesign at all–talk about customer service!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't experienced this problem on CC, but as I mentioned in a previous part of this thread, this issue seems to be tied to how much memory your machine has available at the moment. Quitting other applications and making sure your scratch disk isn't full (for example, if you have something large stored on your Adobe Illustrator clipboard) will give you more undos. It doesn't fix the problem, but it does get you out of a jam if you're working on a project and suddenly find that you can't undo something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a question we'd all like to know the answer to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are still working on this issue and have trying hard to reproduce the problem at our end. We have tried it out on different Mac OS mostly on Mavericks but the issue is not reproducible for us. The issue is not file specific as we did try out with the files with which users are facing this issue.

But still if you are able to reproduce this consistently with few files, please send them to us @sharewithID@adobe.com ( Please do not send the zip file as gets blocked). Also, When you encounter the issue, kindly check the console warnings ( Type "console" in Spotlight search) and copy the console messages and send it across to us.

Just try to launch with fresh preferences and then when you encounter the issue, copy the console warnings and send it across to us along with the test files with which you are facing the issue.

As I said, we are working on this and very well understand that this is a critical issue and a very frustrating one. 

Regards,

Dinkar

InDesign Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines