• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The InDesign Application Frame gets stuck outside the screen area/behind menu bar

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every so often, since working on my current iMac (2017), my Application Frame in InDesign gets stuck on my second 32" Benq monitor. The top bar area sits just behind the menu bar. Once it's there, it's there. The accessibility to reposition the frame is now not possible. Even switching the Application Bar, the background frame is still stuck and cannot be moved.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 09.50.38.png

Surely, there must be a limit from stopping the Application Frame from running off behind the menu and off the top of the screen, or at least allow an interactive method in a dropdown menu to reset the Application Frame back within the frame of the monitor.

For the moment, the only way I have found to resolve this would be to 'Delete InDesign Preference file' (Shift+Control+Option+Command) on start-up and reapply my personal settings and workspaces.

After resetting, this crucial part of the frame is now visible.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 10.10.31.png

I'm running MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.3, on an iMac 27-inch 4.2Ghz Intel Core i7 running a second 32" Benq screen.
Currently affecting InDesign version 14.0.1 but it also occurred with previous versions too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

ANSWER FOUND: It appears it only affects users with two screens. If your displays are sitting side by side, ensure the second screen in the 'Display Arrangement' in System Preferences >> Displays, does not sit higher than the main screen - even though the second screen may sit higher on the desk. Keeping the second screen aligned or lower will avoid 'losing' part of a panel off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the same problem however none of the suggestions were working.

So I was thinking it was at the OS level.

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist

I moved it to my desktop and added OLD in the filename 

Then restarted the machine and it worked. It seems to me that the external monitor settings got stuck

I hope that this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem, I have two screens and have aligned them in the Systems Prefs so they are side-by-side as mag-man suggests then closed and reopened InDesign but it's still off the screen. This solution doesn't work. Mac os 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but the problem persists, and I just found a simple solution; at least it worked in my case. 

First, note that I work with my large external monitor positioned above my laptop screen. I'd guess that this is a pretty common arrangement, and it's inconsistent with the "correct answer" below.

Many people (on various sites) suggested turning off and on the Application Frame. That didn't help me: with or without the frame, before and after, I still had the same problem. 

But then I simply closed InDesign and reopened it again--still the same problem. But THEN, when I turned the Application Frame off and back on again, the frame was freed up from its anchored position and I was able to move it around at will. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However - I have a user this happening to, and she's never used a monitor. She is opening files locally and off the network that may have been access to coworkers using dual displays.

I've gon through all the steps listed - and the issue persists.

Mac Os 10.14.6, Indesign 2021 ( 16.4)

any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has just happened to me and I found a solution that works. I haven't seen this answer in any of the replies above, so apologies if it's duplicated.

I have 3 screens, and InDesign was stuck on the laptop screen.

So, here goes:
Go to InDesign > Preferences > User Interface Scaling.

My settings were on small so I scaled it to large and clicked OK, it will come up with a message saying "Changes to your UI scaling settings will take effect after you restart InDesign", I clicked 'restart now' and it automatically reopened InDesign and was 'moveable' again, and I just went back into UI scaling again and repeated the steps above changing back from large to small and everything is back to normal.

Phew (panic over)

Current InDesign version: 18.0

Current MACOS: Ventura 13.0.1

God Bless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this as well. I'm running two external monitors on an M1 macbook pro. It happened when InDesign launched on the MacBook screen. My solution was to go into Apple>System Preferences>Displays and drag the menu bar (transparent white bar on the top of one of the displays in the display arrangement view) to my large primary monitor. InDesign launches with the correct view now on my main screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found a workaround to the glitch - Put your doc into Presentation mode, then back out again to normal mode and the App is now able to be moved and scaled as normal. Clearly a programming glitch. None of the fixes above worked for me. The app is automatically opening as if it's been maximised and nothing would get the green/yellow/red circles to appear, until I put it in Presentation Mode and then back out again. Having been through this many times with Mac M1 chips and Adobe apps not working well together, I've come to expect problems. At least this works for now - until the programmers "fix the fix" and leave us with an unusable app again! They seem very diligent about fixing the fix's but never fixing the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming adjusting display settings so external displays do not sit higher than main display addressed this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a laptop and a larger screen above it. This was a constant problem til I hid the menu bar on os. No issue after, and more screen space lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving my two monitor configuration fixed it on my MacBook. I just wasted a bunch of time on this. Adobe, can't you do some kind of listener that makes sure this doesn't happen? This kind of stuff is so frustrating for your users, many of whom will be using multiple windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to settings and auto hid the Mac menu bar. Annoying fix, but it
does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hjave a similar issue now halfway through 2023. Most of my other software remembers its size and location when closing and reopening, I don't know why Adobe finds it necessary to force InDesign to fill all available screen space. It's a frustrating time suck to have to dislodge the full screed window from my primary screen, and then resize said window which now fills more than the entirety of my two screens (especially since you can only grab and resize from the corners rather than anywhere along the border) all the way down to just smaller than my secondary screen (which is where I use InDesign). It can't be that much trouble to just let users decide their own UI on open settings. This is clearly annoying multitudes of users in numerous different ways. Especially in industries where time is money and being able to shave off an extra minute or so every single time you open the software would be a massive boon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue--or I think it's the same issue--quite a while ago; I think I even posted somewhere in this thread. But then I figured it out--found the solution--so I assumed I must have a different issue and was misunderstanding. If I'm wrong and withheld the answer for months, my sincere apologies. 

There's a feature on the Mac that I consider an absolute core feature--the ability to use multiple screens. There are different ways to move among them, but for me the most convenient is to brush up with three fingers on the track pad (or whatever it's called). There's an equivalent gesture on a mouse, but I haven't used a mouse in years. I'm strictly a laptop guy (rather laptop-plus-external monitor). 

Anyway, that three-finger gesture is the solution. When the application frame is stuck behind the menu bar, swip up with three fingers. I think this is what they call "Mission Control." Anyway, when you swipe up, you can see all the apps open on that screen. It's like they all move into the background, and you can see them, and all of them are smaller. Now you can click on the InDesign app drag bar (or whatever it's caled)  and drag it onto the external monitor. Put it wherever you want it there. Then swipe down with three fingers to exit Mission Control. Problem solved, right? 

If I'm missing something, I'd really like to know. 

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use 3 fingers and everything gets smaller, I can't grab the window so it pops right back under the menu bar. Tried with my mouse and with my fingers. How do you grab it? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you are a LIFESAVER! I have been struggling with this problem for months and it has gotten worse and worse to the point where it happened every time my mac went to sleep so I was dealing with this 5 or 6 times a day! THE THREE FINGER METHOD WORKED! Now will somebody PLEASE TELL ADOBE TO GET ON THIS??? Thanks again Jim!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a new solution that works best for me now. I go to the launchpad or system settings, find the "Displays" setting. My current setting is set to "default"... when this scenario happens, I select "more space" which makes all the application windows smaller, then rearrange things as needed, while keeping the display settings open. Once rearranged, I set it back to "default" and everything jumps into place nicely. Been a lifesaver for me now instead of disconnecting the monitors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for the moment but the minute I quit indesign and re-launch, it goes right back to under the menu bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adobe when is a fix coming for this??? It affects me everytime I open up Indesign. I'm on Mac OS 14.0. Looks like this has been happening for years. Should be an easy fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn application frame on, it will recenter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to window>application frame and uncheck it and it will release your frame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, that only releases the window inside the application frame. (image 1) The top of the frame is still not accessible. You have to hide the Mac menu bar, then you can move the frame. Image 2. This has been an issue for a very long time.

susanm69154016_0-1704323836099.png

susanm69154016_1-1704324037634.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best way i have found is to unplug your second monitor
Make the indesign window smaller on your primary monitor
Then reconnect your secondary monitor and you can now drag it on to that screen with the frame
Unnecssary faff for something that should just work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading through the replies... I simply unplugged my second monitor and rebooted my laptop. Indesign was then accessible and positioned on the macbook pro 2017 monitor where it should be. I then plugged the second monitor back in and moved indesign over to my larger workspace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have two external monitors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. You've fixed a long standing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines