• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Long Lines

Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to ensure the long lines in the TOCs don't go all the way to the other side of the text frame?

I've tried balance ragged lines but that doesn't work

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 17.34.51.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Look into the right-indent tab setting for the leader and page numbers. Its function is, more or less, to push preceding text over in exactly the manner you want here. You can find it in the drop-down list of characters for insertion into the numbering format string.

Another alternative is to use nonbreaking spaces in the long title sections, to force them to wrap both on the pages and in the TOC by "word groups." This often works if you have only a few such headings and don't want to complete

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

I use all of the above - right indent tab plus judicious use of non-breaking spaces - but the method I like the best is to use a negative last line indent. Outdent? I have no idea what to call this technique:

TPC.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look into the right-indent tab setting for the leader and page numbers. Its function is, more or less, to push preceding text over in exactly the manner you want here. You can find it in the drop-down list of characters for insertion into the numbering format string.

Another alternative is to use nonbreaking spaces in the long title sections, to force them to wrap both on the pages and in the TOC by "word groups." This often works if you have only a few such headings and don't want to completely readjust the TOC layout.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I didn't understnd this line - You can find it in the drop-down list of characters for insertion into the numbering format string.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this issue happens when the content is 2 lines. the first line goes right to the end of the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1709921365426.png

Use this character (wildcard ^y instead of a tab, ^t) in the leader/page number string.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use all of the above - right indent tab plus judicious use of non-breaking spaces - but the method I like the best is to use a negative last line indent. Outdent? I have no idea what to call this technique:

TPC.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines