• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC order

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A doc has 3 styles of interest on the title page, ChaptNum, ChaptTitle, and ChaptSubTitle.  They are all on the same layer and the frames are not connected.  These styles are then arranged on the TOC setup as shown above.

ChaptNum (level 1)

Chapt Title (level 2)

ChaptSubTitle (level 3)

When the TOC is generated the order is reversed.

ChaptSubTitle

ChaptTitle

ChaptNum

How can I fix this?  (New to ID)

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done TOC work for a while, but there's something in my memory that might be relevant. You say that "They are all on the same layer and the frames are not connected," but does that mean that these bits of type are in different text frames that aren't flowing through a text chain? If so, see if bringing the one you want first to the front changes it's order in the TOC. I can't remember it this works for ID, Quark or PageMaker, but I think it's worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Airlens,

Since you have the 3 independent "paragraphs of interest" in separate text frames, most likely the problem is the stacking order in the Layers Panel.

• Open the layer in the Layers Panel. 
  • Drag/drop the 3 frames so that the 1st one in the order is at the bottom of the stack, etc.
  • The layer should look like this:
    • ChaptSubTitle (level 3)
    • Chapt Title (level 2)
    • ChaptNum (level 1)

InDesign and other programs often process the items based on the stacking order, and it's bottom-up. That is, the bottom most item is read first, second from the bottom is read next, etc.

Let us know if this corrects the problem with your TOC.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I arranged the Layers Panel as you suggested above, but when I set the TOC up the results remain unchanged.  I haven’t found anything that will change the order in any way.  I can however, apply TOC Styles to the TOC, change the tabs, leaders, and the page numbers are correct, it’s just the order that I can’t change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.png

if this is your issue as in my screenshot then the frames (non connected) of level 1 are more to the right than the other levels and the frames of level 3 are more to the left

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your TOC set-up screen I would have expected to see Level 1 at the top, but instead it is at the bottom, so what you are saying is that since the text frames are not connected the position of the text frame on the page determines where they fall in the TOC? In my example, the ChaptNum style would have to be further left on the page than the other two OR the text frames have to be connected. AM I understanding you correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Without seeing your file I can't know your settings but I assume you did just like I described above. In that case (disconnected text frames) indesign reads from top left to bottom left and then from top right to bottom right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this soon. The ChaptNum style is in the upper right of the page so you would think it would pick that up on the top to bottom scan followed by the other two styles which are left side mid page.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the page architecture is throwing off how the TOC's hierarchy is made. (I reviewed the screen caps of the TOC style and it looks correct.) I've never seen this occur in a TOC before and I've generated countless TOCs in InDesign.

Suggestion:

Try either linking/threading your page frames together into a logical reading order and then regenerate the TOC.

Or even better, make one frame on the page and use formatting styles to adjust the alignment of the various headings.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just made one text frame for the page and adusted the styles to place those three items.  Problem solved.  Before I did that I extended the text frame of the ChaptNum from the upper right across the page to the left edge and the TOC came out correctly also.  I had no idea It generated the TOC as Vladan_Saveljic described above.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines