• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC question

Guru ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i made a TOC and now the client has changes. they want the word "Page" before the page number on the TOC. how do i do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Hi Jonathan:

You pull data into the TOC from the source pages via paragraph styles. The only way to do this without editing the TOC itself (not recommended) is to add the word "page" to the pages somewhere, and hide it (as in make it white, or tiny or both). You can still pull it into the TOC by its style.

Here's where I remind the client to design documents to take advantage of an application's strengths, and avoid designs that require too much manual labor.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jonathan:

Just add it here, and don't forget to add a space after page.

Screenshot 2018-06-18 08.27.54.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. now they changed it to having page as a category.

i typed it manually, see attached so you can see what they want it to look like. how would you go about it this way?

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 1.01.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan:

You pull data into the TOC from the source pages via paragraph styles. The only way to do this without editing the TOC itself (not recommended) is to add the word "page" to the pages somewhere, and hide it (as in make it white, or tiny or both). You can still pull it into the TOC by its style.

Here's where I remind the client to design documents to take advantage of an application's strengths, and avoid designs that require too much manual labor.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Jonathan just needs a simple regex here!

He creates a "Page" auto-num para style, validates it typing a carriage-return, copies the para and removes it.

After TOC generation, if we suppose "Cancer" as the para style name above, just this:

Find: \r

Replace by: $0~c

Find format: Cancer

Best,

Michel, for FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did that trick you mention with another part of this same job. ok. thanks. i will do it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan,

I'm not home to test it out, but I will be shortly and will give you the solution.

One question: did you make the TOC Using the electronic TOC feature under Layout?

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct, yes, i make it using the TOC panel options under layout.

pleasure meeting you at Creative Pro Sandee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Another way to handle this is to use an invisible character style to hide the numbers, and to add ^nPage (^n being a hard return) as a separator

"Page" character style would be for the gold color.

toc.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a very smart solution! I would definitely use this if the TOC needs regenerating more than a couple of times.

I was wondering why the page number needs hiding with a style, instead of just choosing "No page number" … but then the "Between Entry and Number" box gets disabled! Which kind of makes sense – although it could be useful at times if you'd be able to add text "After Entry".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the nice comment Jongware,

Although I should have mentioned that the "invisible character" trick would probably not be suitable for an EPUB document, (Well, it's a wild guess, as I actually don't know anything about Epubs...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is good. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines