• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Displaying Punjabi Text in InDesign Despite Multiple Attempts

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything from using different Gurumukhi fonts to changing paragraph style but still fonts aren't displaying properly. I also used "Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer" and every mentioned settings.

Can anyone help me with the Indesign issue?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Performance , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Harishankar28255533s2c5,

Another discussion similiar to yours is https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-do-i-get-punjabi-text-to-display-properly/m-...

Although the said discussion did not result in any solution, try the suggestions mentioned on that thread and see if something works for you. I am also tagging @Rishabh_Tiwari to look into this and get some help for you.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Manan. Yes, I have seen this dicussion but no result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you name some of the fonts you've tried? The last time I checked, there were still a bunch of pre-Unicode fonts in use in the Gurmukhi typesetting community. If you try to set contemporary Unicode text in an old font, it just won't work. Similarly, if someone wrote some text in, um, AnmolLipi, then you couldn't set that type in a Unicode font like Akaash or AnmolUni.

Can you tell us some of the settings you've tried? I don't want to waste your time (or mine!) on posting things like "Optical Kerning can break ligatures sometimes, is Optical Kerning turned on" if your answer is "yeah, I already tried turning that off." So a brief summary of things you've tried would be helpful. 

Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like and post it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel, 

Thanks for taking time to response wit this. I have tried AnmolUni and Adobe Gurumukhi but the result is the same. "Matras" are distorted like this is happening with Hindi, unless we turn on "Adobe World Paragraph."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this is what it looks like when I'm using Adobe Gurmukhi with the World-Ready Composer turned on. Is it correct? Is this not what you see?

isitright.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Joel Cherney 

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for sharing this, yours is look fine to me. Actually this is not I see with my work.

See the screenshot.

Screenshot (231).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's what it looks like when the World-Ready Composer is turned off. There are quite a few ways to turn it on or off - from the Justification menu, in the paragraph styles, and in the flyout menu from the Paragraph panel. But once you've already laid out your document, it's faster to go to Type and choose "Apply World-Ready Composers," which is applied to the entire document. I rekeyed a tiny bit of your document, just part of the first bullet point, to show you how vowel position is corrected when you turn on the WRC throughout the document:

wrc again.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't see "Apply World-Ready Composers," in my Type drop down. Also I have searched in paragraph style section. But I have already turned it on, before, in my preferences. But it didn't work. Do I need to change any setting to see this is Type menu? 

Screenshot (232).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, once you've selected that setting in the Preferences, then your new text frames and paragraph styles in  new documents should default to the WRC. That won't change documents that were created before you turned that setting on, or documents that were started on other installs of InDesign. 

I am surprised that you don't have the Turn On WRC menu option under Type. I wonder if it's because I'm using the Middle East Edition? You can try to expose it by going to Window-> Utilities -> Scripts -> Application and running the "IndicPreferences.js". However, if that doesn't work, you certainly don't need to have that particular menu option to turn the WRC on. Here's a few other ways:

1) Select the text with the Text tool

2) Open up the Justification dialog by whacking Control-Alt-Shift-J (on Windows, if you're using a Mac I think it's Command-Option-Shift-J)

3) Select the WRC

1.gif

or 

1) Select any frame with the Selection tool

2) Choose the WRC from the flyout menu on the Paragraph panel

2.gif

Or, the way that we InDesign forums regulars suggest you handle all of your text management, by applying a paragraph style:

1) In the Paragraph Styles pane, start a new Paragraph style 

2) Select a font that supports Gurmukhi, the WRC, and whatever other qualities you want the paragraph to have (like a name, or a font weight, or pretty much anything else)

3) Whack OK to create the style

4) Select some text with the Text tool (or a whole frame with the Selection tool)

5) Click the style name to apply the style to the text 

3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Siiiii!!! Esto me sirvió. Lo pude arreglar. Mil gracias por el aporte!!! ♥

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Harishankar28255533s2c5,

Did you find a solution? Did you have a look at the screenshot provided by @Joel Cherney? Let us know the status so that we can brainstorm more ideas.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jaspreet39039295kfw4_0-1723012361816.png

im not even getting that option to turn it on. kindly help me out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2024 Aug 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Jaspreet39039295kfw4

We are sorry you are still having trouble with this. 

After selecting the required text in the InDesign document, press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+J (for Windows) and Cmd+Opt+Shift+J (for macOS) to see if you get the Justification dialog box.

If you see it, you can change the composer from there.

Let us know if you need any further assistance. We are here to help. 

Thank you, 

Abhishek Rao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2024 Aug 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're showing us preferences in Premiere Pro, right? You're currently posting in the InDesign forum.

In Premiere, I think it's the "South Asian and Middle Eastern Text Engine" preference in the Graphics section of the prefs pane you're looking at... but I've not opened Premiere in at least a year, so I might not be remembering that correctly. If my suggestion isn't useful, or my recollection faulty - the Premiere forum is right here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines