• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two fonts with the same name

Participant ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two different fonts with the very same name: Source Code Pro (OTF) and this issue brings me a lot of headache. For example, if especify one of them as an atribute in the Find dialog, InDesign is unable to finde any of them. Does anyone know how to get rid of one of these fonts? Using "Find font" is hard as they have the same name.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "get rid of them," what specifically are you trying to achieve? Do you want to merge the 2 fonts to 1, so that you're only using the one font. Or do you want to keep them separate (perhaps some text has been styled with one of the fonts, and a different sort of text with the other font?)

In any case, this is a really buggy area in InDesign. In my experience, the only clearcut way of dealing with it is to export the story in question to .icml, open in a text editor, and change the name of the font that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. What I mean is literally eliminate one of them. If only one was called X and the other was Y, I could use the Find font facility to replace X for Y. But when both are called X, how can I replace X for X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Right, so if what you're seeing is that InDesign's find/change is not managing to distinguish between the two varieties of the same font, I think the only way to do this is to export the story to .idml, and open in a text editor and change the name of one of the fonts there. If there are many stories, you could export to .idml but it's more fiddly because you have to unzip and rezip the resulting .idml file. If there are multiple documents you probably would need a script to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines