• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open InDesign files stored on Google drive file stream

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used google file stream without issue for some time, but over the last few weeks I have found that most indesign files stored on my google drive cause a 'serious error' which shuts down my indesign and causes a further crash on re-open. Other adobe file formats do not have the same problem.

This is so, so frustrating as we use google drive to share files amongst ourselves. The alternative of downloading a file, editing and re-uploading is not a sustainable workaround when project packages are close to a gigabyte in size!

I am using google file stream Version: 25.252.289.1612 on iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) running High Sierra V 10.13.5

These are the errors I get when opening a file from google file stream

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 9.34.26 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 9.35.19 am.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

So I think I have found a way to solve this. I have tried it on a couple of files and it seems to work.

The problem might have something to do with the way the files are stored and synced for "Online only". You can change files or folders to "Available offline", the option is found under the "Drive File Stream" option in the right click menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many others have posted about this on Google and InDesign forums. It seems to be an unsupported workflow with many crashes. My advice is to use another service that works like Dropbox:

InDesign crashing when opening files from Google File Stream

Working on InDesign from Google FileStream

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Infuriating that you can drop so much money on a product which then won't work within one of the largest cloud storage systems on the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what makes you so sure it's Adobe's issue? I'm not saying it's not, but to assume it is with no evidence is an unfair conclusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On reflection it's more than likely a Google Drive file handling thing. Apologies for the bad attitude, I am sick and at my wits end trying to get this sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said to someone else, this is clearly a problem and it doesn't matter who's at fault. It doesn't work so I recommend Dropbox or OneDrive in the mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To throw another angle at this - we use google filestream hand in hand with countless other products Autodesk (Max / Maya etc), Blender, Fusion / Nuke, Vegas, Unity and UE4 - and the Adobe tools are the only ones that consistently have issues.
I would put it down to Adobe's awful software design than Filestream specifically. The sheer amount of Adobe bloatware that I can see running in my process tab alone gives me nightmares: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think I have found a way to solve this. I have tried it on a couple of files and it seems to work.

The problem might have something to do with the way the files are stored and synced for "Online only". You can change files or folders to "Available offline", the option is found under the "Drive File Stream" option in the right click menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines