• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwelcome letter replacement

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does "hn" (as in John) in my document get replaced by "S"n with a  mark on top, and how do I get rid of it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font are you using, and can you post a screen shot? My guess is this is a ligature. You can turn ligatures off in the Opentype submenu in the Character panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It indeed sounds like a random ligature is running rampant, and switching ligatures off ought to temporarily fix it.

But the cause, in my experience, has mostly been that you have two sets of this font installed. Use Find Font to locate where it was installed. Remove that font; usually, InDesign will no longer be able to find it. If it still does, you had two copies active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening with all fonts or just one font? Is it happening in all documents or just one? If it is just one font do you have the full font installed or just alternate characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to agree with Jongware's answer in terms of the cause, though I've found that turning off ligatures hasn't helped me in the past.

My colleagues and I have had similar problems when two versions of the same font are loaded at once using a font manager such as suitcase. I've had this occur with gillsans and helvetica neue.

If you have access to another machine running IDCC, does the same thing happen when opening the file on the other machine?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you are using an open type font (.otf), check Open Type>Discretionary Ligatures in the Character panel or your Paragraph/Character style, which is not the same as Ligatures in the first level flyout

Screen Shot 2.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With OTF fonts there also can be Titling and Contextual Alternates, make sure they are unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines