Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

URL hyperlinks changed to Shared destination

Enthusiast ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am sure I need to blame myself here, but could someone kindly explain to me how did I get to this point?

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 09.30.31.png

This is taken from document B, where a parent page containing a list of hyperlinks to web page URLs has been imported via the "Move Parent Page" function from document A. I did this in order not to have to rewrite this from scratch every time. When I created the hyperlinks parent page in doc A I created them as URL, and I had never noticed the presence of the Shared Destination checkbox. Is this something new? 

Now, every document I create from my template has those hyperlinks not in form of URLs but in form of Shared Destination, pointing not to the web page but to the document ... 

Now, if I export doc B as a PDF with hyperlinks, some links will work, and some will not. 

Is there a way I can change all the hyperlinks to what they should have been, that is simple hyperlinks, or the only way is to relink them all from scratch? Also, should I behave differently in the future? Should I uncheck the shared destination box? 

Thank you

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyperlink Panel menu button flyout > Hyperlink Destination Options > Delete Unused

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/indesign-secrets/252-clean-out-old-hyperlinks-and-hyperlink-destin...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the issue here to be slightly different. 

Since all new URL hyperlinks get created with the "Shared destination" checked, using URLs in a parent page has the (I feel) undesired effect of having the link being connected to the original link in the original document, not to the URL destination. Even worse if this is in a parent page of a template file. 

Deleting them will not help, because I want them to work, not to be deleted. 

I would like to know what is the reason (and the practical purpose) for having "Shared destination" checked, and why copying such a hyperlink results in linking back to the original document, not the destination itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines