• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using extendscript on Apple Silicon device

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used indesign scipt much lately but have now started a project where I need it. Last I used it I could simply edit a script by right clicking it in InDesign and select edit script. That brought me to a debugger which I could use. After changing computer to a M1 Mac things are different and nothing seems to work. I have Visual Studio Code with the ExtendScript Debugger but I can't get it to work. I get this error message when I try to debug:

Couldn't find a debug adapter descriptor for debug type 'extendscript-debug' (extension might have failed to activate)

I have created a launch.json file but I don't know what to put in it and cant find the info anywhere. Also this extension says it won't work with Apple Silicon devices. There's another extendscript extension that I also tried but I have the same issue as before.

Any advice? I'm looking for the simplest solution possible. If there is something more straightforward than Visual Studio I'd gladly try that. I'm not a programmer so I'm not using most of its features. I just need an interface to edit scripts and do simple debugging.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Found an advice elsewhere to install the intel version of Visual Studio instead which I did. I can now debug as I wanted. I can't do the quick right click>edit script from InDesign though since that won't open Visual Studio anymore. Not sure why but I'm not wasting time on it. I wanted the simplest solution to get to work so I'm content with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found an advice elsewhere to install the intel version of Visual Studio instead which I did. I can now debug as I wanted. I can't do the quick right click>edit script from InDesign though since that won't open Visual Studio anymore. Not sure why but I'm not wasting time on it. I wanted the simplest solution to get to work so I'm content with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want VSCode to open when you select edit, you have to set the file extension's associated app:

In the Finder do Get Info on any .js or .jsx file and choose Open With, select VSCode and change for all (sorry I don't have my computer in front of me so my wording might be wrong but you will understand I think).

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this you can able to debug

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 4.31.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We actually just posted a new blog going over this process including setting up VSCode and Node.js correctly for Apple Silicon Macs:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines