• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using FindChange script

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do architectural drawings in Illustrator, and assemble all the sheets in Indesign. I have a template file that has placeholders for all the information that has to go on every sheet (name to client, address of project, and so forth, and a FileMaker database with all the relevant info. In FileMaker I create and save a FindChange document, and then use the FindChange script to replace all the placeholders with the relevant info. This works very well except for one limitation: I cannot replace a placeholder with any text that contains a carriage return because the carriage return is interpreted as an end of line in the change definition, and causes an error in the script. Is there an escape character I can use before the carriage return so that it is interpreted as part of the change text rather than part of the definition?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual way to handle this is to replace the carriage returns in your data with some character that is not used elsewhere in your text, and then use Find/Change on the finished document to replace every instance of that character with a return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @litefeet,

I don't have experience with FrameMaker so I am not sure if you are alluding to FrameMaker or InDesign script. If this is about finding the carriage return(paragraph end marker) within InDesign file then you could use \r grep expression. Inside the findchange text file you will have to probably escape \ so the search string would be \\r.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You've misunderstood it - @litefeet is replacing "text1" with "text2" that has carriage returns inside - but you can't have "plain" carriage returns in FindChange - you need to substitute them with some other unique combination of characters that you have to change later to carriage returns. 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines