• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using tabs in split column

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've used the Control Panel Split Column feature to make a list 2 columns in my text frame. I want to move the second column over an inch, so I tried using tabs but it won't work. Any advice? Thanks so much in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 5.40.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 5.44.09 PM.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Try setting a Left paragraph indent for the list paragraphs, and leave the Outside Gutter as 0, which will let you move the right column via the Inside Gutter until there is no space on the right.

Screen Shot 43.png

Screen Shot 42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Span Columns feature has adjustable values for both Inside Gutter and Outside Gutter.

The Paragraph formatting feature contains adjustable values for both Left Indent and Right Indent.

Can any of these options help you out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me. I can't find any features that change the inside or outside gutter for Split Columns or for Span Columns. I also can't find any way that the paragraph formatting feature can apply to these columns. It seems they are both accessed via the Tabs feature. When I explore that, I can't find any way to control the placement of the columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Paragraph Styles you can find those options here…

para-styles.jpg

The Inside and Outside Gutter options can also be found by holding down the Alt/Option key while clicking on the icon within the Control panel that runs across the top of InDesign. To see this option ensure that you are looking at the Paragraph options and not the Character options.

split-options.jpg

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining. I worked with this for awhile and although I can move the first col freely, I can only move the second col a minor amount. I'd like to move it to the left .25" but the para style options won't allow me to move just that col as much as I'd like to closer to the first col. Probably because I've split them I guess. Image below shows how far I can move the right col to the left. 0 is the value for that.

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 1.00.26 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may be at the limits of what these particular formatting features can offer. A couple of other methods you could explore...

1. Place the content of the list within a table. It's possible to cut and paste a table within text in another text box.
  2. Use multiple text boxes. ie. Have your list sit within a stand alone text box that you could more easily format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting a Left paragraph indent for the list paragraphs, and leave the Outside Gutter as 0, which will let you move the right column via the Inside Gutter until there is no space on the right.

Screen Shot 43.png

Screen Shot 42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this idea. I'll test it out and see if it works for this project. I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another approach that might give you more flexibility...

Set the text frame as a two column frame and have first paragraph span the columns. You can adjust the left and right indents of the two column text as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines