• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What caused the confusion between optical alignment and hanging punctuation?

New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes think that hanging punctuation was an attempt to do optical alignment, but after that the signs started being taken out completely. How did hanging punctuation come about? And why doesn't "..." align in indesign when optical alignment is enabled?

ya36865873ejxc_1-1714904499443.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I follow (or discern) the question. InDesign offers optical alignment, yes, which (mainly) enables hanging punctuation and a shift for extended serifs. All elements of more or less the same feature, to the same end.

Can you clarify what's confusing you?

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does not align “...” when I have Optical Alignment enabled. And if it does, it treats it as a dot and aligns it as much as it should align a dot. I originally just wanted to know why hanging punctuation was created and why somewhere in Adobe programs is hanging punctuation and somewhere is optical alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the answer lies somewhere at the intersection of formal typography and the development of the optical alignment feature. My guess is that an ellipsis is not punctuation that is properly 'hung outside' the text block, in lead type or any other medium.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using the terminology incorrectly. 

InDesign has a feature called Optical Margin Alignment which can be activated in the Story panel (Type > Story)

InDesign does not have a "hanging punctuation" feature but Illustrator does, and it works differently that InDesign's Optical Margin Alignment.

Please describe what you are trying to do more clearly. Are you using Optical Margin Alignment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I realize that InDesign has Optical Margin Alignment, not Hanging Punctuation. InDesign does not align “...” when I have Optical Alignment enabled. And if it does, it treats it as a dot and aligns it as much as it should align a dot. I originally just wanted to know why hanging punctuation was created and why somewhere in Adobe programs is hanging punctuation and somewhere is optical alignment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The two features — Optical Margin Alignment in InDesign and hanging punctuation in Illustrator were developed by two different application engineering teams at different times.

As to why the feature was created, I'm attaching a handout I use for my InDesign class in the Graphic Design program at UC Berkeley Extension every semester. My information on Optical Margin Alignment is largely derived from an excellent on-line class on LinkedIn Learning  by Nigel French, "InDesign: Typography, Part 2". Nigel's typography classes are the most insightful I've found.

Optical Margin Alignment.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines