Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does the letter P stand for?

Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey gang,

In the rotation icon in the Control Panel of InDesign, what does the letter "P" stand for?

Mike wants to know!

Mike Witherell

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just crazy talk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll vote for Danny's guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's only one way to find out...

Set every capital letter of the alphabet in Photoshop, create all 8 iterations of rotation and flipping for each, then gaussian blur them all, increasing the radius until they're all indistinguishable. The last one wins. I bet it'll be P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the next century, look at your wireless Manipulator for Management of the Cursor on a Computer, and tell me why it was called mouse? Without even knowing there were ancient models, connected with cord?

Why computer related (hardware/software) errors are called bugs? It's not possible to say without knowing the history.

I don't think someone ever played in Photoshop, seeking for the *best* letter to represent rotation / flipping. There's a bunch of other letters which may serve just fine. I imagine some dev years ago spent couple of seconds choosing a letter for a visualization of rotation. Was it for Page, Portrait, Paper, Position? Find him and ask if he's still alive, or look in computer history resources.

That P is way older than InDesign with all its panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

winterm  wrote

There's a bunch of other letters which may serve just fine.

None quite as well, though. The Photoshop blurring thing was tongue in cheek, but it would actually work. So would squinting!

If I were to guess, I'd guess it was chosen when developing the Mac/LaserWriter UI, or maybe it was established before then in phototypesetting machines (did anyone here ever operate one?). I bet John Warnock would know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, I'm looking for the definitive historical origin. I actually don't know the answer. But I'm in the business of answering questions for students (and myself, as a long-time practitioner of this page layout art).

I like the theory that it comes from the P in the print dialog box imagery. The word Portrait sounds likely, but I wish we could trace the origin, and know for sure.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

​P ​- position

Why "P"?

Is not symmetrical. It helps to visualize "portrait". "landscape" and flipped.

I think it's this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Which is why Danny Whitehead wrote above: "Set every capital letter of the alphabet in Photoshop, create all 8 iterations of rotation and flipping for each, then gaussian blur them all, increasing the radius until they're all indistinguishable. The last one wins. I bet it'll be P."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not Phlipped.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines