• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats the right way to work with linked elements on different computers *without cloud*?

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say i work on an indesign file with lot's of links inside.

these links are located on different folders! i know that if they all were located in one folder, things were much simpler, but it's not the case.

if i'll save it as a package, the remote designer will get all links to work, but then after he'll send it back to me, all links will be pointing to the package folder, while i need it to point to the original folders location in my pc. 

so i need to relink all links to the different folders every time i'm getting the file back.

is there any smarter way to work this around?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest way is to put all files in a single folder. Put the InDesign file and all linked graphics in the same folder and it won't lose the links. Using different folders will cause the issues you're seeing. I like to name the InDesign file so it goes to the top of the file list. On the Mac I put a space at the start, but that doesn't work on Windows, so maybe use something like ! to bring it to the top of the file list so it's easy to find.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you said "but it's not the case" but is there a reason why you can't just put everything in one folder? Because that's the way InDesign wants you to work.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that doesnt help, but thank anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then replicate your folder structure for your remote designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you receive the package file. Rename the links folder in the package, so the links get broken.

When openeing your InDesign document, you'll have to relink. But it will find files that are in the same folder.

At least you don't have to relink each file.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But files are in MANY different folders - so a lot of manual relinking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good. Did a search. Can't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @danezeq , Is the remote designer editing the links? If not, why not send just the InDesign file without the linked files? Your collaborator will get missing link warnings, but that wouldn’t prevent them from making ID edits, and on return the link status for you should still be normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, sometimes he update some of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason you don’t want to use cloud sync’ing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the packge and then, you also use that packaged folder. So create your design, create the package, for example in the same folder and disk as your original document, then forget your original document and work yourself with the document in that packaged folder. Then after you receive the edited indd file, just replace that in the packaged folder on your own disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But OP didn't want to destroy the original structure of the links?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea is to preserve the structure of the folders. there are linked files spreaded around some folders, i can't move them into "package" folder". i mean i CAN do it but the whole idea is not DUPLICATE them, but LINK to them, they needed in another projects as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not really how InDesign works. Here's a feature request to get relative paths Relative Link Paths for InDesign – Adobe InDesign and there's a script in one of the comments you may be able to use to do what you want (although I have not tested it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan, I think cloud sync’ing is the solution for the relative link feature request. Sync’ing replicates the folder structure, so the file paths are all relative to the root sync folder, which with the Adobe cloud service is the user’s Creative Cloud Files folders—it’s just a matter of keeping all of the links inside of the root.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While cloud syncing is useful... I think relative linking would be a very useful solution when people don't want to use the cloud (which not everyone wants to... as indicated by the original poster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add that if someone is sharing files a lot, cloud syncing is what I'd recommend 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*without cloud*?

The point of sync’d cloud workflows (Adobe CC, Dropbox, OneDrive) is to solve linking problems without resorting to sending packages. I assume the collaborators have a reasonably fast internet connection, if you are passing around packages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To do what you want, you need a file server that allows remote logins, usually with a VPN. Companies do it all the time. 

Another option is to use a remote server that mounts like an external hard drive (not a simple cloud storage). 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines