• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

While printing a document, the image color is getting changed from gray to black.

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue that I will discuss now is a bit complicated and since you can't see my test prints, I doubt that you can give me an accurate answer.

Of course, it's not your fault that you don't have enough information to give such an answer. But if you have similar experiences or you have some idea about the following issue, I would like to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I prepared material for offset printing in Indesign and I exported it to PDF/X-3 with a PSO Uncoated v3 (FOGRA52) profile. Most of the content is grayscale (Black Ink of the required CMYK profile). Before export, Indesign was set to "Display All Blacks Accurately" and "Output All Blacks Accurately" (if this is important to mention). There were some live transparencies in the document, but not that many and they were flattened during the export to PDF/X-3.

Today the printer called me to show me a printed test-sheet (only black was used), but it looked nowhere near to what I see on my screen. My monitor is not professionally calibrated, so, of course, it can't be accurate, but the test print looked quite strange.

The strangest thing is that it didn't even look like an offset print, but it looked a little bit as a digital print. In offset, black is not so black and everything looks a bit dim as opposed to digital prints, where black is darker and more intensive. Also, the test-print looked very sharp.

I even became paranoid that the printer is trying to trick me by substituting apples for oranges (digital for offset), but since I'm not an expert, I kept this to myself. The printed surface was not shiny, but "dry", which is typical for offset, but still, something was strange there.

Please check the image that I attached below. That's not my actual work, but it's just my attempt (and not a very good one) to illustrate the problem. It's a public domain image (or at least I think so) that I picked up online.

The upper image represents what I see on my screen and the lower image represents what I got on paper. But this is not an accurate recreation. The print was not that dark, but still, it was significantly darker than the PDF.

Basically, the print looked as if you view the upper image without proper color management.

example.png

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Sampling the gray output values in your file I’d say the proof could be close—all of the shadow detail is in the high 90s close to 100%, and even the 3/4 tones in the faces are in the mid 80s. If they are printing just black on press they might push the black density in order to get a better black on the uncoated sheet. In any case if the proof is a press proof or contract proof don’t expect much change in the press run.

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

But are you viewing this image "through the prism" or "through the lens" of it's embedded (Black Ink) profile or the CMYK profile? This should be viewed and evaluated with the PSO Uncoated simulation.

I’m looking at the output numbers.

If the printer is telling you they will match their proof on press then you have to view the contract proof as accurate and adjust accordingly.

You are assuming the two color profiles needed for a color managed preview are accurate, but both could easily be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Of course you are right, I'm printing in 1 color, but the machine is nominally 4-color and so is the simulation.

Now, if this simulation is misleading, then I don't know what to say.

It could be. I think you are assuming offset profiles are always accurate, but the press profile changes depending on choices made on press—the profile could even change somewhat during the run. If the press operators decide they want a better black running black only on an uncoated sheet, then they might run m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day, now I found the right word to describe the print that I talked about - photocopy. Or a xerox copy - if you prefer.

It looks exactly like that: too dark, too contrasty, not that many gray shades between black and white, missing details (some wrinkles on people's faces or on their clothes). Comparing that to a home printer was actually flattering.

Why I spent countless days and nights working on this photocopy - I don't know. I did my best to follow the advices on this forum and this is what I got.

And it doesn't matter whether I've edited some of the images or not, they all look like photocopies.

Following the advices on this forum, I converted them to "Black Ink", but not only that this didn't help, but maybe it made things worse.

Speaking of calibration, I'll repeat once more that I saw my work at the printery, on their monitor, and it didn't look so different.

And note that I keep my monitor's brightness very low. It didn't help me in any way. I don't have a hardware calibrator, but I use some software solutions. Maybe it's not very professional, but it's not that bad.

I've printed the 1st edition of this book in a cheaper non-profiled printery and they had a big problem to hit the colors, but the b/w content turned out great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the proof you are looking at came from some kind of copier and not a press running to the PSO Uncoated profile then of course it would look wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the proof you are looking at came from some kind of copier and not a press running to the PSO Uncoated profile then of course it would look wrong.

By @rob day

Interesting point, @rob day. God knows what they were doing there. The worst thing is that people like me are not sure whether to protest or that's the way things should be.

The manager responsible for this contract-proof maybe abused my ignorance, but maybe not. But what he showed me on that sheet was not what I ordered over email, where I described what I want.

Also, that test-sheet was very different to the simulation, but in such cases the printer can get away with "your monitor is not calibrated". But I also saw my work on their monitor and then they say "that's just a software proof, it's not 100% accurate". You get it...

I even developed conspiracy theories that they printed this on a digital press (they insist it's offset). Or maybe on a non-profiled offset press. Or maybe on a 1-color only offset press (without CMY). But maybe I'm confusing things.

The black looked very black, but previously, I was constantly reminded on this forum that I should expect a "calmed down" black, something like dark gray. That's what I wanted. Please open Indesign's preferences and then Appearance of Black and there's a pic describing the phenomenon.

What I saw on that paper might be a result of the ink density settings, but I can't be sure about it.

Also, maybe I'm confusing things, but what I saw there looked more as if you view the PDF/X file without its ICC profile. Try this by opening Acrobat and then Page Display and then turn off Overprint Preview. Or you can achieve the same by removing the Output Intent and the PDF/X info from the file (there're such options in Preflight).

Or you can simply do this: just take some images, convert them to Dot Gain % and that will be similar to what I got on paper. Look at them with a Dot Gain % simulation - that's how it looked.

To make things even more confusing, I talked over the phone to another employee of this printery, who has never seen the contract-proof. I told him that it sucks and he was surprised. He was like: no, no, I saw the final sheets and they look good. What is "good" from his POV - I don't know, but he sent me photos, so I can see it.

It's hard to judge by these amateurish pics, but the prints there look good and not like the contract-proof. But if the pics are accurate, that would mean that the printer is not working in accordance with the contract-proof, which is unprofessional.

In short, rob day, this turned into a total confusion.

I think that I will go to another "doctor" (printery) for a "2nd opinion". This printery should be profiled to the same standard as the previous one. I want to pay there for some test prints and check what will happen.

P.S. I don't know how important this is, but I forgot to say that the test-sheet had only black bars on top of it. But then, when I saw the pics of the final sheets, they had bars with lots of colors on the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "good" from his POV - I don't know, but he sent me photos, so I can see it.

Can’t they send you the printed sheets? Doesn’t sound like you have much experience with offset printing, but their process is pretty standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn’t sound like you have much experience with offset printing

Correct, @rob day, I'm not experienced (to be precise, my experience is limited to text-only books). That's why I'm trying to learn something new here and thank you for your help.

their process is pretty standard

OK, thanks for your expert opinion. I do beleive that most of the time they're professional.

But I strongly felt, rightly or wrongly, that they made some mistakes.

I felt as if I ordered a hamburger and they brought me a cheeseburger. I stared at it thinking: is this the way it should be. I accepted it and then they said: you approved it, you can't object from this moment on. Fair enough, but this does not neceserily mean that they fullfilled this task properly. Maybe they did it wrong and I was just a fool to let them get away with it. That's how I felt.

To put it layman's terms. What I saw on that paper was not how I planned this project. I previously described it to them (I keep the correspondence), but this was not it. And this was also different to what I saw on the screen (both mine and theirs).

The printed sheets (the final ones) are to be used to assemble the final product, so I thought that I can't ask for one to be mailed to me. And the communication is not that good anyway.

In any case, thank you for your time and your effort.

As I said before, I'll try to go for a 2nd or a 3rd opinion (tests from different places), unless it's too complicated and expensive. It might be useful in the learning process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I strongly felt, rightly or wrongly, that they made some mistakes.u

You provided final output values so unless the agreement was that they should somehow correct your values, then their only option was to print the values you provided. The appearance of the values could change depending on the press conditions (the running press profile).

There really shouldn’t be a problem getting a few press sheets delivered— I’ve never run into a printer who won’t do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day, the images posted below illustrate the problem much better than the ones I posted before, so please, let's forget them and let's concentrate on this:

reconstruction.png

This is not from the actual book, but this is just a rough reconstruction made in Photoshop. I picked up this image online and here I use it for educational purposes only. I didn't use it in my work.

What you see on the left roughly represents what I see in Acrobat's simulation and what I expected to get on paper. Note the background, the black there is not really black, but dark gray. Everything looks kind of "calm". Btw only K is used, CMY=0.

What you can see on the right roughly represents what I got on the test-print. It looked nowehere near the simulation. The black was very intensive and everything looked contrasty. Some tiny details (such as wrinkles on the people's faces or on their clothes) somehow got lost. Their faces all looked very pale and they were all "swimming" in this cosmic "black hole". There are not many gray shades between black and white. This reminded me of a photocopy. Note that it was on an uncoated paper and it was K only (CMY=0).

I wonder if this means that the printer pushed the ink density settings too far. I don't know the right term.

I still feel (rightly or wrongly) that the printer messed up something. And now I'm trying to define the problem and to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your monitor calibrated to the output device? If not you cannot rely what you see on your screen.

You got the test print - it's your opportunity to pass or reject it. 

If you are rejecting it - then you need to confirm what you expect from the test print. Illustrating how you have here.

It's impossible to know from screenshots and would need to actual print ready PDF files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the test print is an actual proof from the press then the print Simulation Profile is wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines