• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I move objects and text boxes in Indesign CS5.5?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded to Indesign CS5.5.I have been working on a document and all was going fine but I suddenly realised I could no longer move any text boxes or objects using the direct selection tool and dragging. The objects just don't move. I can move them by selecting them and then laboriously shifting them with the arrow keys. I can also reshape them by dragging the mid points and corners. The objects are not locked and are not on a locked layer. The "Anchored object' options are all greyed out and I also can't copy any of the objects.  Please can someone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have already found the decision. You don't have to totally delete Pushbullet, you just need to turn off its 'Universal copy&paste' option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completed removed PushBullet and the problem was fixed, but it's now once again not working (unable to move boxes.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no PushBullet in my system. Same troubles as minificus had. Please advise? Are you back on track?? I'm desperate. I still have CS6, but that's not working either now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just installed the latest versions of InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom, and switched to Acrobat DC. Within 20 minutes, InDesign quit allowing me to move objects. I think it happened after I altered the master page of my document and then tried to change a font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does that have to do with CS5.5?

Please start a new thread with details about your issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issues were the same as the previous thread's issues with CS5.5. Same problem - unable to move objects. For the moment, my issue has been resolved by a system restart. Staying tuned to find out what the bug is in InDesign CS5.5 that has carried through to present day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if it makes a difference or not, besides moving text boxes, I cannot move dosuments in a book either. I can highlight the document, but cannot drag it to another lcoation in the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens to me.

I have 2 different macbooks pro:

1) 2012 no-retina 15" with full Adobe CC (not 2014), OSX 10.10

and 2) 2014 retina 13" with Adobe CC 2014 Standart, OSX 10.9.

Running trackpad and Magic mice on both – and have also tried other mice by Logitech and Apple. Mice change nothing. The problem is definitely not a hardware one.

The problem is the same on both of them. Macbook Pro 2012 got it only last week, right after I first ran updates by Adobe. On Macbook Pro 2014, I ran updates immediately after installing the software, and got the problem immediately. No hardware changes occured before the problem.

Indesign: both computers: can't move the objects with mouse or trackpad. I'm a very advanced InDesign user, no questions about the selection tool etc. are appropriate

Illustrator: MBP2012: crashes in attempt to move an object or layer. MBP2014: can't move objects, just like in InDesign.

Premiere Pro: MBP 2012: crashes when I try to move any object. MBP2014: don't have one.

I changed nothing in hardware or software when this bug started to occur. On MBP2012, only full restart helps, only for ≈20 minutes. On MBP2014, sometimes quitting the app and Chrome browser helps. But usually, only restart helps.

I have tried deleting preferences, etc. what you offer. That doesn't work. As I see it, something in the latest updates is the source of the problem. Unfortunately, I see no way to go back to the previous software versions. I am really mad about this, because I can't work smoothly any more on both of my computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. i reinstalled InDesign and I dont have PushBullet... so I need a different solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I have no Pushbullet and have trashed the preferences multiple times.

I'm mac OS 10.10.5

Indesign 11.0.0.72 Build

This issue is driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by installing the latest patch for InDesign...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find the updates for InDesign in the Creative Cloud desktop app (Mac) or task bar (Windows).

If they are not showing up, here's a link to an article on the Creative Cloud app which gives suggestions:

http://creativepro.com/troubleshooting-adobe-creative-cloud-desktop-app/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm...

Suggestions include resetting your desktop app, or reinstalling it, which often helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Creative Cloud, I am using the latest InDesign. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had that same problem on mac

i cleared the cache from ~/Library/Caches & reboot & its fixed

(i also cleared saved application state but I'm not sure its necessary)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with not being able to move objects in ID. Trashed preferences, even uninstalled and reinstalled ID.

PLEASE HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. I had Pushbullet installed earlier in the year, but when some problems started occurs (don't remember what the problems were at this point), I uninstalled it and everything worked fine. Now I'm having the same issue as everyone else where I can only move objects in InDesign using the arrow keys. Extremely tedious, very annoying.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem yet? My Adobe CC is up-to-date and I'm on macOS 10.12.3 Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.

Deleted preferences - Didn't work

Reinstalled indesign - Didn't work

Restarted my Mac - Worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. Only restarting my Windows laptop helps. It's really annoying and slowing my work so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. I have no Pushbullet. Selection arrow wont move objects in Indesign 2017 or 2015 (latest versions).

Ive trashed all preferences many times, no help. Selection arrow moves objects only for a brief time after system restart.

After that its all busted. OSX is 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines