• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why does all caps shortcut now show as override

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until recently, I happily used Ctrl-Shift-K to uppercase text.

Now, it was showing up as uppercase, but highlighted as an override.

I see now that it was really "all caps" rather than "uppercase". I am quite unclear about the difference.

I created a new shortcut set, and reassigned CTRL-Shift-K as 'uppercase', which works and does not show as an override.

So, why would 'all caps' show as an override but not 'uppercase'?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

One other thing I remember now - if only "display" as all caps, then if referenced in TOC or Xref, it will show as original case.

Since I had used Ctrl-Shift-K to uppercase stuff for TOC inclusion, it must have been switching the text to uppercase.

That means either the shortcut changed, or maybe I had assigned that as uppercase in my prev version of ID, and that assignment got lost in the upgrade.

Oh, well - sorted now!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All caps style does not change the underlying text. It remains as you typed it but displays at all caps.

Change case does change the text to upper case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - but ... it didn't show as an override, and now it does.

(I'm SURE I'd have noticed it it was marked such... - I think?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to avoid override problems is to make a character style to display the content in all caps. Assign a keyboard shortcut to the style and you'll have the same functionality as before, but without any errors or overrides.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One other thing I remember now - if only "display" as all caps, then if referenced in TOC or Xref, it will show as original case.

Since I had used Ctrl-Shift-K to uppercase stuff for TOC inclusion, it must have been switching the text to uppercase.

That means either the shortcut changed, or maybe I had assigned that as uppercase in my prev version of ID, and that assignment got lost in the upgrade.

Oh, well - sorted now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines