• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows vs MAC

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We see a difference when opening the same page within Adobe InDesign on a windows machine than on a MAC machine. We have checked the settings and they are the same in both cases. Anyone seen this before?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The very slight text-flow problem I see could easily be the result of different font files with slight variations in kerning data and the like.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Patrick Bruggink ,

so InCopy on Windows and Mac as well as InDesign on Mac show the same result in text composition?

Only InDesign on Windows is showing a different one?

Are you working with the exact same versions of InDesign and InCopy on both platforms?

Please check the exact versions. Go to About InDesign when holding the Command-key ( Mac) or CTRL-key ( Windows ) and click. You should see a detailed information window with exact version of InDesign. For example Version 19.4.0.63 for the latest release. All four apps should have the exact same version number.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for the commments.

We are using inDesign:
Windows: 16.4.3
Mac: 16.4.3

Fonts is OTF
The fonts is the same for Mac and Wndows. I have also put the document in this download link:

https://assets.qonqord.cloud/?w=KkuJpUoKGw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Open Type fonts or True Type? Open Type are the only fonts that work totally cross platform and should present the same results on both Windows and Mac. Open Type fonts will have the suffix .otf. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Not completely true. Windows TrueType fonts will work on a Mac and there are two "flavors" of Opentype. Without going into the full details, many OpenType fonts have a TTF extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,
My own results with using True Type cross platform (using Times Roman, if I recall corectly) resulted in some ragging issues. As far as I've ever seen Opentype has been more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I think at this point it's safe to say that any new fonts are OpenType anyway since it was introduced almost 30 years ago.

The big point here is that the file extension on OpenType can be either OTF or TTF. All of the fonts that ship with Microsoft are OpenType (fun fact: OpenType was a joint project between Adobe and Microsoft) have TTF extensions since they contain TrueType data as opposed to Postscript font data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded your example file and un-zipped it. I changed the name of the fonts folder to "Document fonts" and then opened the INDD file. On my Windows 11 system, the file opened perfectly, and the syllable break is exactly the same as on your macOS version.

Are you using a "Document fonts" sub-folder?

Or have you actually installed the font family named Arnhem into your Windows machine?

BTW, your Hyphenation settings for that paragraph style seem too liberal.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

did you do your tests with InDesign 16.4.3 ?

Could be a bug in that older version that is fixed with the current one.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using a enterprise solution from Woodwing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using a enterprise solution from Woodwing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would have been helpful to know that up front. I would suggest contacting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines