Alt text missing on hyperlinks after "Export as Interactive PDF"

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work primarily in InDesign and create accessible PDFs using Acrobat & an Acrobat plugin called "CommonLook." 

During the design stage, I always add the alt text when creating hyperlinks or adding images, and export it as an interactive PDF. 
A couple of weeks ago, I realized that my hyperlink alt text stopped appearing on the Link tag, but instead, it appears on the "Link - OBJR" (aka "Annotation") tag within the Link tag.

I thought it was a one-off, but sure enough, it's happening to all of my exported PDFs from InDesign. 

I work on long reports that usually have many hyperlinks, so this has become a very time-consuming problem for me. 
I'm wondering if this is something anyone else has experienced and anyone who can help me fix it? 

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Performance, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021
Hi K-Ren, did the change happen after you updated to: InDesign 16.2 ? InDesign 16.2.1 ? Regards, Uwe Laubender ( ACP )

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but no, it doesn't address the issue I'm having. I haven't changed how I've created my InDesign documents for accessibility, and I've always created my hyperlinks using the hyperlink panel. There's nothing else mentioned in the solved query that is relevant to the issues I'm having. 
I usually export to Interactive PDF, but I've also tried to export as print PDF with the tagged PDF options selected (which include Bookmarks, Hyperlinks, etc.) with the same result. I've attached an example PDF if that can help, but I think it's an issue that occurs when I export, whether it's a setting, preference or a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi K-Ren,

did the change happen after you updated to:

InDesign 16.2 ?

InDesign 16.2.1 ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right! I reverted back to 16.1 and the alt text correctly appears on the Link tag.

The newest version has a bug that causes the issue during export.

Thanks so much for getting me onto the right track to fix the issue!!! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can only guess, that your problem is the bug fix with feature Alt Text on Hyperlinks, and perhaps not a new bug with Alt Text, as mentioned in the notes of the fixed issues with 16.2.0:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

My interpretation for this:

"ALT text for hyperlinks is incorrectly placed in Tagged PDF."

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/38972206

would be, that before 16.2.0 the Alt Text feature on hyperlinks was used in a wrong way. Not the way accessibility norms would suggest this. You could ask Klaas Posselt for details who wrote the bug report back in 2019.

Other notes on "Alt Text" for Hyperlinks:

It is not supported by scripting.

It is not supported with the exchange formats IDML and IDMS.

And therefore could also not be supported with CC Libraries, InDesign library files and some InCopy workflows.

"Alt Text" for hyperlinks was and still is an incomplete feature.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines