• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic or dynamic cross-referencing a list

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out how to use an index of advertisers to cross-reference ad page position in a membership list in the publication. In other words, can I use the ad index to search the membership list for those advertisers and then add the page number from the index to the advertiser's listing in the membership list? These are all in the same InDesign CC file. Perhaps there is a script? Any advice is appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reccomend using Static Captions in conjunction with cross refereces. First go into Bridge and add your advertiser name as metadata to your ads. I used the Description field in my example.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.06.51 PM.png

Make a new paragraph style for your Captions. It doesnt matter what it looks like right now. We're going to change it later.

Then go to Links > Captions > Caption setup. Choose your Metadata field and your paragraph style that you just set up. Change the alignment to a negative amount. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.07.57 PM.png

The go to Links > Captions > Generate Static Captions. This is important! Because Live Captions won't work with cross references.

Now the name of your advertiser should be at the bottom of your image. Once you see that your captions generated successfully, go back into the paragraph style you just set up and give it a character color of None.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.12.43 PM.png

Now to generate your list of advertisers, you can either do that manually, using cross references, or you can do it using a TOC and choosing to alphabetize. If you go the TOC route, you'll need to remember to update it manually whenever the ad placement changes. If you make the cross references manually, it's more work up front (potentially a lot more work), but you won't have to remember to update your list. InDesign will alert you when the ads move pages.

Here's how to make your list using cross references: 

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.17.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.17.00 PM.png

You can use whatever paragraph style you want for this, but the setting I have shown has a right-indent tab, which will shove the page number all the way to the right of the text frame.

Here how to make the list usng the TOC function. Again, I change ^t to ^y (a tab to a right-indent tab). That will give you rmore flexibility when changing your text fram width.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.23.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-24 at 1.24.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great info for generating the index, which I already do using text anchors (added manually). This way is even better using metadata that can be added before ads are added to a library. My bigger issue is generating the cross reference in the membership list. Currently, we do it manually in various ways. I'd love to be able to use the index to somehow search for the advertiser name in the membership list and add the page number from the ad index, similar to a lookup function in Excel. I've attached a couple screenshots of an ad index and a membership list with the page number added (manually).

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 2.53.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 2.54.05 PM.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone could help you script that, but that's beyond me.

I think when you say "index" what you're actually referring to is an Advetiser list. I mention that because "Index" is actually something very specific in InDesign, and I don't think you're actually using one. Just FYI, for clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. At least now I'm not wasting time trying to find a ready-made solution in InDesign. We have a pretty good coder on staff. While he's not InDesign savvy, he can probably help me out with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need a custom solution for your particular use case. There are a variety of ways you could get at it through a script. There's no existing script solution that could do it, I don't think, but happy to discuss your options. Feel free to PM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines