• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically switching to an alternate glyph

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a font with a capital "R" that I want to replace everywhere with its "Stylistic alternate (salt)", which is much more suitable than the default glyph. The font doesn't seem to contain any stylistic sets that I can enable, nor does this alternate glyph seem to be enabled by changing any of the OpenType options, such as swashes or contextual alternatives. I can't seem to generate a character style that will do this. I also haven't had any success using find and replace to make this change. The only way I currently have of changing this is using the hover-over contextual menu, and this isn't practical for every instance of this glyph in the text.

My question is, is there a way within InDesign for this change to occur automatically? I've searched other questions here and can't find an answer for this particular case. 

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 11.13.43.png

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 11.16.35.png

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 11.19.40.png

 

 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Robbie5C90 said:

"I also haven't had any success using find and replace to make this change. "

Hi Robbie5C90,

I know this is an old thread, nevertheless there is a solution to your issue. With Find/Replace.

The two "R"s may share the same Unicode value, but they differ in their Glyph-ID number, the GID number.

You should be able to do a Glyph Find/Replace action.

Here a sample from my German InDesign:

ReplaceGlyphBy-GID.png

Note that the GID numbers in your font sample are not the same as the ones in my screenshot.

Glyph IDs follow a different numbering scheme compared to Unicode code point values. They are just counted inside a given font style from 1 onward. Depending on the different number of glyphs used in a particular font the ID values can be different compared to a another font.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines