• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create rectangle shape or text box

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I need help with InDesign. I am trying to create a rectangle text box and shape but when I try to drag, it is locked as a square even if I turn off the 'constrain proportion' button. How do I fix this? I am coming from an older version of InDesign and its my first time to experience this problem. 

Another issue, the eyedropper tool only copies the color and not the text style of where I click. Anyone else experience this? 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

EDIT: It is working fine now. I updated to InDesign CC 2021 16.0.1. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you probably know, any of the rectangle tools will create a perfect square only if you hold the shift key as you drag out the shape. If you are only getting squares, try with a new document to see if it's a problem in the file you're working on. If it's the file, you could try exporting to .idml and opening the .idml file as a new document. That sometimes cleans out some bugs. Also, Save-As can clean out some older undo data that doesn't have a purpose any longer. If you can't do it in new documents, maybe your preferences need to be replaced. See this link for more info:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-to-clear-cache-or-preferences-for-indesign/td-p/8053334?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried deleting my preferences and even reinstalled InDesign but I still have the same problem. Here's a screenshot of my workspace. Am I missing something? It still scales proportionally even if I don't hold down the shift key. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 1.31.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EDIT: It is working fine now. I updated to InDesign CC 2021 16.0.1. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines